• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 03:16:36 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

How to use potassium sorbate in cider?

Started by admin, September 30, 2013, 05:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Want to kill off the yeast after fermentation. How do I use this? Do I dose with campden tabs aswell?

Eoin

A bit of both, then leave it under airlock to off-gas as much of the headache as possible...... Will can probably be more specific about quantities. As I understand it, Campden stops reproduction of yeast where K kills it, both together will stop it dead.

TT

HomeBrewWest

Potassium sorbate kills the yeast. Campden tablets contain sulphites which help prevent oxidation; essential in wine, but not required in beer or fizzy cider because the dissolved CO2 tends to keep oxygen away.
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." Abraham Lincoln. www.homebrewwest.ie

Will_D

Pot. Sorbate does not kill yeast cells per se. It inhibits reproduction - so when you add sorbate the yest cells cannot reproduce they just get old and die!

Campden tabs do not kill yeast they just change the acidity and inhibit wild yeasts. That is why I can add 10 CTs to gallons of cider and pitch with a chardonnay yeast and all is fermenting nicely.

If you want to stop yeast activity just pasturise the cider!

Additives BAD - pasturising is GOOD

It will remove lingering traces of H2S ( sulphur smells ) and round off the flavour profile. It does not taste like apple tart or stewed apple.

Just heat it to 65C for 15 mins and then cool - result stable cider!

While you are at it just add sugar/AJ to taste and there you go!

Fek it - just given away my secrets as how to win medals and things
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Shanna

September 30, 2013, 09:05:46 PM #4 Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 12:24:20 AM by Shanna
Quote from: Will_D on September 30, 2013, 08:38:34 PM
Pot. Sorbate does not kill yeast cells per se. It inhibits reproduction - so when you add sorbate the yest cells cannot reproduce they just get old and die!

Campden tabs do not kill yeast they just change the acidity and inhibit wild yeasts. That is why I can add 10 CTs to gallons of cider and pitch with a chardonnay yeast and all is fermenting nicely.

If you want to stop yeast activity just pasturise the cider!

Additives BAD - pasturising is GOOD

It will remove lingering traces of H2S ( sulphur smells ) and round off the flavour profile. It does not taste like apple tart or stewed apple.

Just heat it to 65C for 15 mins and then cool - result stable cider!

While you are at it just add sugar/AJ to taste and there you go!

Fek it - just given away my secrets as how to win medals and things
Ciderhead had posted on another part of the forum that both of you were going to document a newbies guide/steps on how to make good cider. Any sign of it?

As an aside am I making too big of an assumption in thinking that pasturised cider is preferable to one that had been dosed with both potassium sorbate and camden tablets.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Will_D

Why not? Just coz you have aq corny full doesn't mean you can't pasteurise!

If it full to brim how are you going to add more fresh juice?
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing