• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 21, 2024, 02:46:00 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

O2 overdose???

Started by Jonnycheech, November 15, 2013, 06:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonnycheech

I brewed a partial mash on Wednesday and oxygenated the wort with my new snazzy pure O2 canister that I got from wholesale welding supplies (not group buy). I have ordered a flowmeter from China but it didn't arrive on time so I impatiently oxygenated without it. I turned on the gas for about 1 minute on what were varying outputs of O2 from the canister as I was turning the valve a bit, I really had no idea how much was required.

It's now 48 hours since I pitched and there is literally no signs of fermentation. I know it's not the yeast as I split the wort into two fermenters and pitched two different yeasts, nottingham and BRY-97. The temp is fine and I can think of no reason why there is nothing happening apart from an O2 overdose.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
Tapped:
Fermentors:
Bottled:

Ciderhead

You need a meter
What did you use to diffuse?
Apply enough that you get a good froth on the top.
With a meter 1l a
Minute for 1 minute.

Date and storage conditions on the yeast?
BRY is a bit of an animal starting off, so suggest it was shot, have you any more?

Sent from 1 of 300,000,000

Jonnycheech

I used a a ceramic aquarium stone to diffuse and there was a nice froth on the top. I'm presuming the yeast was well in date as I only received it the day before from The HBC, but I didn't actually check.. I read somewhere else that O2 is toxic to yeast at high enough concentrations, I guess this is what happened. Unfortunately I don't have anymore of those strains but I do have a couple of packets of us-05 which will have to do. I'll wait a couple more days to see if anything kicks off.  :'(
Tapped:
Fermentors:
Bottled:

Ciderhead

Always check they are normally v good but I've had a few over the years, check the bin!

You oxygenate first and then pitch which order did you do it?

Sent from 1 of 300,000,000