• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 18, 2024, 04:33:54 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Sub-forum to be decommissioned shortly due to inactivity. - No longer happening.

Started by Eoin, April 25, 2014, 11:28:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eoin

Quote from: Tucan on May 06, 2014, 08:56:09 PM
Hi all
I would like to know what Eoin would consider as "justification" and how he came up with it ?

I didn't come up with it, I announced it.  It was going to be done and I said, not without a chance at reviving them so at least I'll put a notice up. Justification would be usage more than every six months. No activity for six months suggests something is not being used.

Tucan

I'm not having a go at you Eoin but not counting this subject their have been six subjects and twelve replies in the last six months.
I know this low  activity but it's certainly not "No activity".
Also would like to know what the quota per month is ?

Tucan

Relevance ?
Or are you suggesting that we have to disband if we haven't ?

DEMPSEY

The question is an honest one and not a get at anyone :). The only reason  for keeping in contact with fellow home brewers is so if they themselves are visiting the area of the Sunny south East they might like to drop in and have a pint and say hello. :) :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Tucan

Fair enough.
Because of the geographical spread of the SE homebrewers we haven't been able to get together for our usual meet up in the Revuliton bar since November.
We always post here if a meeting is going ahead just in case there's anyone new or in the area interested.

johnrm

We're not far off you in terms of logistics in Cork, we're in the biggest county in the country which makes for some long dry trips, but we manage!

Greg2013

Quote from: johnrm on May 06, 2014, 11:38:17 PM
We're not far off you in terms of logistics in Cork, we're in the biggest county in the country which makes for some long dry trips, but we manage!

How many members are in Cork compared to SE though ? I doubt many clubs here are as spread out across their entire membership as we are but not sure on this. While i am all for tidying things up if any club is "less active" then what harm would it do to just leave it be ? If the SE section is done away with what visible advantage is that going to be to the NHC forums ? It should be obvious to all though what disadvantage it would be to us in SE. ;D

I know i have blown hot and cold on this in the past but any potential new member from SE is not going to be encouraged to participate if there is no SE section, the SE does not need to be a "club" but it should still have a voice, otherwise why are we members ?  ;)

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

johnrm

Don't get me wrong, logistics is only one part of it.
Based on forum posts alone it does seem quiet in the SE. About a year ago I was trying to get to a meet that never happened.
SE bods obviously frequent the forum and have requested that it stay.
If you request it to stay, then it should stay, but you should probably post more. I think it's a building block and may be an open door for others.
As soon as your communication goes off forum, into texting or whatever, then the door is closed.
How about turning this around...
What do you think the NHC should do for you?
Without visibility on here, no one knows what is going on.

brenmurph

Personally I'd say leave it alone, however to SE maybe it would recruit more local people ( who are most likely looking in but not posting) if the SE section is busier re posts and banter.

I remember South Kildare was in question at one stage a long time ago and was mention that it should be part of Liffey Brewers, as it stands and has stood we are the busiest in the country I'm confident of that, who else has had 2 to 3 brewdays a week? And recruited dozens of new members?

So Kildare Started very small and very quiet on the forum ( still dont like forum, much happier wit people on our brewdays) but we are extremly proactive.
As I say SE may benefit themselves by getting some banter going even if its just a post per person per day on their own section and it may encourge more local members and who knows, this time next year ye may be having brewdays every wednesday and saturday :) :)

johnrm

Eoin

On another note, the same notice was put up in two other sub-forums, there has been one comment on one of them where the party agreed that it was probably a good idea, in the other case it appears as if nobody has even noticed.

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there to hear it, did it make a sound?

As there has been some discussion on this one, this one should probably stay, but a bit more effort to use the resources provided would be appreciated.

Unstickying.

Ciderhead

Quote from: johnrm on May 07, 2014, 12:33:47 AM

As soon as your communication goes off forum, into texting or whatever, then the door is closed.

In Wicklow 95% of our communication is off forum because 40% of our members are either not NHC or even current members that don't bother going on the forum but do read emails. We still have a presence just not everything gets discussed on forum, after speaking to several SE members I know its the same. These are paid up members and have every right to be here and really shouldn't have posting quotas.

Liffey have their own private area and thats cool to and NCB is the complete opposite and probably and fair play to them for being the best forum participant and so open with all their club activity from their local members.
Local clubs are the future for the NHC and more and more conversations will be on a local off forum level by txt or email.
Culling or threatening to cull forums is a bit heavy handed and folks natural response to that approach is to give the NHC 2 fingers and do their own thing. 
I don't go for the tidying up rationale either as I can't see how its  making that section anymore complicated, if anything it shows outside world NHC large national presence, and the "use it or lose it" will only lose paying members inmho. 

Eoin

Quote from: CH on May 07, 2014, 11:53:10 AM

Culling or threatening to cull forums is a bit heavy handed and folks natural response to that approach is to give the NHC 2 fingers and do their own thing. 

Aren't those users already showing the NHC the two fingers by half-participating? Just putting it out there.

-edit - I'm considering the matter on the forum closed for now anyway, following on from the consensus that this should remain, so these extra discussions are now moot to some extent.

Eoin

Locking thread as discussion has run it's course and the thread is unstickied, it'll be interesting to see does the thread now slip down the forum as one would expect as new posts come in. I'd suggest that this is revisited in 6 months.