• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 03:11:13 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

A tweet from Leffe

Started by delzep, September 29, 2014, 05:34:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delzep

Leffe Triple has an alcohol content of 7% when bottled. After secondary fermentation, it reaches 8.5% #Leffology

Seems a big jump no?

Although I'm pretty sure that Belgian beers abv has a tolerance of  +- 1% which might account for this?

DEMPSEY

No way it can go from 7 to 8.5 without making a bottle bomb. ???
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Qs

Got them strong Belgian bottles.

delzep

Quote from: Qs on September 30, 2014, 12:45:24 AM
Got them strong Belgian bottles.
Leffe Triple is available in those tall  33cl bottles (not the short  duvel type bottles). They're not particularly strong are they?

imark

Weight one. The glass weight to volume is a pretty good indicator of strength. I think you need above 3:5 glass:volume for  carbonation of 3.5vol
I'd be very surprised if the carbonation added that much alcohol though. I think your point on tolerance is probably correct. Leffe just making the most of that.

Bubbles

When Leffe talk about secondary fermentation, they might not be referring to refermentation in the bottle.

They could be talking about the dosage of simple sugar to the beer during the course of fermentation. This is a common technique used by home brewers in making high-gravity Belgian beers, but I haven't heard of that many commercial breweries using it.

Just a thought...

Greg2013

Don't shoot me but aren't Leffe part of the AbInBev group now ?  ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

irish_goat

Even if the bottle could withstand the extra 1.5% it would still be an absolute beast of a gusher when you opened it.

What I'd assume has happened here is some young one in the Ab-Inbev marketing office has been told that it goes up that much during secondary fermentation (in the tanks+the bottle) but has tweeted without double checking the facts with anyone who even has the slightest of brewing knowledge.

Bubbles

Quote from: Greg2013 on September 30, 2014, 12:33:28 PM

BANG! ;)

Wouldn't stop me from drinking Leffe, especially when available on tap. I'd much prefer it to a mediocre "craft" beer..

Greg2013

Quote from: Bubbles on September 30, 2014, 01:05:21 PM
Quote from: Greg2013 on September 30, 2014, 12:33:28 PM

BANG! ;)

Wouldn't stop me from drinking Leffe, especially when available on tap. I'd much prefer it to a mediocre "craft" beer..

I agree it is a nice drop,i just hope they don't start messing with it like they do everything else. ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Bubbles