• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 20, 2024, 08:21:41 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Brew night SNPA clone (my take)

Started by Oh Crap, March 19, 2015, 10:44:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oh Crap

Yesterday evening was just perfect for brewing.... Had this recipe waiting to go for a while now.
Grain....
5.3 kg pale malt
.53kg crystal 25 (I had no 40)
Hops
magnum 6g @ 60 min
Pearle 24g @ 60
Cascade 25g@ 15
Cascade 25g @ 5
Whirfloc 1/2 tab @ 10
Wlp001 yeast....

Had crushed the grain 2 days previous and kept them @19c (as well as mash tun) till mash in
Measured out the strike and sparge water in the morning (kids around in afternoon)
7:30 kick off :)
Strike water 18.5l @ 76c
Mashed in and held temp 66/67 45 mins then 64/65 for last 15
Sparge water 15.6l @ 77c
Preboil volume 27.5 (1.5l more then expected) at 1.045
Started boil and hop schedule
ALL GOOD says I......never say that!!!!
In with the IC etc.
60 mins done.. On with pump for chill water and both inlet and outlet hoses spring leaks... The jubilee clips are loose and will not tighten. Water. Turned off, lucky it was still touching boiling temp. Robbed clips from gas lines and fixed that problem. Water back on all good at connections. Next I see water pissing from tubing near pump....dam thing has a hole, out with the insulating tape and running repairs done, still some water but manageable. Everything back under control so time for a beer 😉
Got temp down to 20 in 20 mins (well possibly 25) transferred to FV, got 23.5L which is right where I wanted it, took SG 1054, target 1056. All in all a happy brew night.
temp dropped to 19 so pitched yeast (followed white labs advice) time for another pint.
Anybody see any issues?  or advice to get the gravity up those 2 points?

Beer
1 is good, 2 is better, 3 is enough & 4 isn't half enough