• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 10:37:56 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

June meet up

Started by Chris, May 21, 2013, 10:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

The 13th of June has been suggested as the next date for a meet. I would suggest the same venue "the blind pig" at around 8pm. If anyone has any difficulties please post and we can try to move things around. I will be bringing a few beers for a bit of feedback.

1. Chris
Cascade reaction Amber Ale
Breac Donn Imperial Amber
Lonesome pilgrim pale ale
Primary: Back to Black Again (Michael Jackson stout)
Secondary:
Conditioning:  Breac Donn Imperial Amber Ale
Drinking: Cascade Reaction Amber Ale, Fear Gorm Irish stout, lonesome pilgrim pale ale
Planned: imperial stout, finlandia kit hack

Adrianok

I'll probably be there, but it mat be outside my control. Defo will be at the one after though.

Sammy7p

13th June in the Blind pig sounds good to me and I'll have 3 beers to taste, California Blonde, Dawn Devil American Amber and Freckles Pale Ale.  I'm really interested in your feedback for Freckles because it has a strong off flavour which hopefully you can identify. I think it may be esters from fermenting at too high temperature. 

loftybush

Sounds good, I'll be there.

Will bring along a Coopers IPA, I fear I may have dry hopped it for too long, so I'll let ye be the judge of that.
I reckon my extract 'stout', will be too young to bring along. Will leave that off until July.

loftybush

Found a few bottles from a St. peters kit. I remember someone asking about them the last night. Will bring that along too.

Chris

Hey guys I was cleaning up today an I found my water hardness testing kit. I'll bring it along on the 13th if anyone wants their water tested. Just bring a small sample of your tap water.
Secondary:
Drinking: Cascade Reaction Amber Ale, Fear Gorm Irish stout, lonesome pilgrim pale ale

Sammy7p

Cheers Chris, thats fantastic.... I haven't tested my water here but I know that the water is pretty hard. I discovered through trial and error to add a little acid malt - maybe 2-3% - to my grain bill to bring the mash pH down. 

Chris

I just bottled my single hopped lonesome pilgrim pale ale. Will bring along the first bottle to meet. May be a little young but I'm really looking forward to it.
Secondary:

Chris

Just a bump, to see if we will have a few on Thursday.
Secondary:

Chris

Guys I got some bad news today and because of it ill have to pull out of Thursdays meet. I'm sorry to let you guys down. I was really looking forward to it and had brewed my single hop lonesome pilgrim especially for it. If possible I might meet up with one of you guys before Thursday and hand over a few bottles for some feedback. Hope ye still have enough to go ahead.
Secondary:

loftybush

I am still planning to head along if there are any others interested.

Chris, I can meet you before hand if you want to pass on any bottles for feedback, or you can wait until the July meetup if you'd prefer to be there live to gauge reaction!

Sammy7p

I'll be there also... Lets try for 8:30?   I'll have California Blonde, Dawn Devil American Amber and Freckles Pale Ale to taste.

I met a couple of guys at the Expo in the Strand who said they were interested, so it would be great to see them ... and anybody else on here from the Limerick / Clare / Tipperary area... all welcome!!!

Sammy7p

We had our first tasting session last night, and we had a total of 5 beers to sample. First up was Mark who had his bottles adorned with cool "Zombie Hopocalypse" labels which everyone admired.  The St Peters IPA was really good, but a few of us reckoned there was a lot more alcohol in it than the 4.5% printed on the label  ;).  His second beer was a 4.2% pale ale and both beers were well received. 
Willy was next up and produced a really tasty wheat beer with orange and coriander, but judging from the champagne pop was a little over carbonated.  Martin had his 5am saint clone that got good reviews and finally his light summer blonde which was a little lost after all the flavours from the hoppier beers, so lesson learned, next time round we can start with the lighter beers.

We're already looking forward to the July meet - provisionally pencilled in for Thursday 11th 8:30 - again in the Blind Pig.  Many thanks again to Niall and all the staff in the Blind pig, who are really looking forward to tapping their first cask later today

Chris

Delighted it went well lads, what did Nial get for the first cask?
Secondary: