• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 03:06:02 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Barrel'O'Rebel II - Herd'O'Rebels

Started by johnrm, March 24, 2017, 04:03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnrm

We're shy a few bodies here.
Ideally we would need to see about 12 to allow for fallers/topups.

mr hoppy

Quote from: Dr Horrible on June 13, 2017, 01:50:44 PM
Are we fixed on WLP007 or S-04 for the yeast?  Havent had great experiences with S-04 but happy to go with the consensus.

WLP007 is dry, it attenuates up to 80%, S-04 (yuck) 75% only and I'd say that would be with plenty of rousing.

http://www.whitelabs.com/yeast-bank/wlp007-dry-english-ale-yeast

http://www.fermentis.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/SFA_S04.pdf

Don't think we're really looking for esters here either - the likes of Stone use WLP007 and I don't recall Nogne O 100 having much in the way of ester character (more a malt/hop bomb.)

BrewDorg

Just listened to the can you brew it episode with this beer. The brewer really emphasised maximising attenuation, so I think 007 is important.

Dr Horrible

I thought WLP007 and S04 were liquid and dry versions of the same yeast, didnt realise there was such a difference in performance. Ive no problem using WLP007 but we need to have a dry yeast option as well. If dry and neutral is the aim, would US05 be suitable?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

johnrm

Interestingly...
Even though the label says "Barley Wine" in the States, the brewery usually says it's brewed to be an IIPA. The American label was supposedly a glitch. In Europe it's sold as an IIPA. But to save the admin crew some time dealing with user feedback, it's listed as a Barley Wine.

From here...
https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/nogne-o-100-batch-100/41915/

mr hoppy

Quote from: johnrm on June 14, 2017, 05:24:21 PM
Interestingly...
Even though the label says "Barley Wine" in the States, the brewery usually says it's brewed to be an IIPA. The American label was supposedly a glitch. In Europe it's sold as an IIPA. But to save the admin crew some time dealing with user feedback, it's listed as a Barley Wine.

From here...
https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/nogne-o-100-batch-100/41915/

I thought it was an American barleywine when I had it. Definitely not an IIPA / DIPA (to my palate at least anyway).

Quote from: dcalnan on June 14, 2017, 02:42:06 PM
Or notty?

That's what I thought. Or Mangrove Jacks workhorse (although you might need 3 packs+)

Anyone interested in ordering some of the ingredients together? DCalnan mentioned hops, maybe some of the speciality malts, yeast as well?

johnrm

Look at Beoir#1, it started out as DIPA, aged to a nice barley wine

irish_goat

Quote from: johnrm on June 14, 2017, 09:53:01 PM
Look at Beoir#1, it started out as DIPA, aged to a nice barley wine

That reminds me, must crack a bottle open soon.

dcalnan

I've a €50 voucher I'd be happy to use for group ingredients. Unfortunately the delivery would be next week at this stage.

Cambrinus

I'm in so...

1. Johnrm - Something Big, Something Bold
2. LordEoin - Nogne 100 clone
3. mr hoppy - same again  :D
4. Dr. Horrible - Bretta is betta
5. Dcalnan - happy with anything
6. Tommy
7. BrewDorg - on for anything but Nogne 100 clone sounds good
8. Bzfeale80 - happy with anything
9. Cambrinus - Nogne 100 clone is good

Cambrinus

Is there any date set for this?
Sort of busy at work so I need to plan this a little....

-F

Dr Horrible

We had said the weekend of the 15/16 July for filling the barrel, but seem to be getting the feedback that that's a bit too short notice.  I may not be free the weekend of the 22nd, so I would propose the weekend of the 29/30th July (the weekend before the August bank holiday) for filling the barrel.  I don't think any batches need to be conditioned beforehand, I'm assuming that if you mix batches with different yeasts and attenuations together there's going to be some secondary fermentation going on, so I'll drill out the barrel bung and fit an airlock, so you could possibly even brew the weekend beforehand if absolutely necessary.

Cambrinus

johnrm

Nogne 100 clone.

Assuming 200l Barrel...

1. Johnrm - 20l
2. LordEoin - 20l
3. mr hoppy - 20l
4. Dr. Horrible - 20l
5. Dcalnan - 20l
6. Tommy - 20l
7. BrewDorg - 20l
8. Bzfeale80 - 20l
9. Cambrinus - 20l

We're still shy 1 body but 20l could be anything up to 23l so we should be good.
Will we need to topup? The Barrel may be thirsty.