• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 06:08:59 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

citra hops

Started by barkar, May 25, 2013, 12:27:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barkar

Was contemplating getting some citra , spotted a bottle by the same name by widmer bros in local offie , it was also on movies and booze today thought I'd chance it, , either I got a bad 6 pack ,but two bottles in , its wrank , the aroma is zesty, but with some awful skankyness to me can only b described as  cheesy ? Would this be true of this hop, I like amarillo and cascade styrians etc  and apa's , thought this might b similar.....

Kevco5

Have you tried Sierra Nevada torpedo? As far as I know citra is used for the dry hop.

Hop Bomb

Sounds like a dodgy bottle. Citra is more of a cat piss aroma  :D
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

Ciderhead

Quote from: barkar on May 25, 2013, 12:27:12 AM
Was contemplating getting some citra , spotted a bottle by the same name by widmer bros in local offie , it was also on movies and booze today thought I'd chance it, , either I got a bad 6 pack ,but two bottles in , its wrank , the aroma is zesty, but with some awful skankyness to me can only b described as  cheesy ? Would this be true of this hop, I like amarillo and cascade styrians etc  and apa's , thought this might b similar.....

at a beer tasting last week and the beer you bought is officially described as
Widners Summer seasonal brew is a pleasant blonde ale with soft malty notes and a slighty sweet finish. Grapefruit and orange flavour come through in a crisp hop character. Dry hopped with Citra, with Alchemy used for bittering, Citra Blonde is a delicious summer blonde ale that is truely refreshing.
I tried it and it was ok surprised you had an allergic reaction :)

Dr Jacoby

Cheesy flavours or sweaty flavours are most commonly associated with old hops, not particular hops varieties. 

As others have pointed out, Citra is a prime ingredient in some fantastic beers, commercial and homebrewed. I think it's wonderful as a dry hop.
Every little helps

Hop Bomb

Ive done a few ipas where Ive paired it with amarillo, centennial & simcoe  & its been lovely. Dont like it enough for a single hop brew though but it plays well with others.
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

barkar

Yeah have to say i think it was a bad 6 pack , cat litter or cats piss sounds about right . I remember checking the bottle bb date - was hard to identify but i thought it said march 2013. didnt think it would effect the flavour that much though. I imagine it was in the offie for quite a while, dont think it was stored too well - well not in a fridge anyway 

Bubbles

I've never really gotten the "cat-piss" thing with Citra, but I do use it mostly for late additions and dry-hopping.

Love it. Big mango bomb.