• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 29, 2024, 05:09:06 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Barrel'O'Rebel II - Herd'O'Rebels

Started by johnrm, March 24, 2017, 04:03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LordEoin

johnrm

I think its a question of balancing the bugs.
Should we move it out as soon as we feel that the yeast has done its thing?
If the yeast has faded then it will not fight any nasties.
Also, there will be some oxidation over time.

If the yeast is viable enough to carb at this point that might be our indicator.
Just because we said 6 months does not mean it has to be 6 months.

Dr Horrible

Yeast is definitely still active, airlock is busy every warm day.  I think that bottle we tasted just needed another 2 or 3 weeks to carbonate properly. If we meet again before Christmas I might take a sample just before and borrow your bottle carbonation system John, that would give us more instant feedback on how the beer is doing.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

mr hoppy

The fact that the beer is 10% abv will help with bugs. Remember, there were no problems with the first barrel until the lager which was relatively low abv. Also, oxidation in a full wooden barrel, particularly a bigger one won't be significant over 6 months and should be fairly benign. I'm also not sure that it's necessarily going to be the best way of managing the oak flavour. My vague recollection is that it might be cyclical how strong it is.

Dr Horrible

So, will we have a meeting before Christmas?

johnrm

Dr Horrible

Currently carbonating a litre of the barrel brew thanks to John's handy little carbonation caps so will have it for sampling for the meet next Friday.  Measured the gravity and it's 1.014.  Actually tastes a little dry now and quite oaky, I reckon it's good to go but we can discuss at the meet.

Dr Horrible

So would those that had a taste last night agree that the brew is ready to take out if we want? There was talk of putting another beer in straight away, is that the way we want to go?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

johnrm

I think it is good to come out, but only to do so once we have another ready to go in.

I'm all ears for the 'mild' that was mentioned - if someone has a recipe kick off a thread Barrel'O'Rebel III

Cambrinus

Agreed . Need to have the next barrel beer ready before bottling the current brew. The mild or the previously discussed stout sound good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cambrinus

Just trying to summarise the volumes to see where we're at for the second fill:

Mr Hoppy - 21l @ 1.082
johnrm - 39l @ 1.082
LordEoin  - 21l @ 1.080

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Cambrinus

Mr Hoppy - 21l @ 1.082
johnrm - 39l @ 1.082
LordEoin  - 21l @ 1.080
Cambrinus- 23l @ 1.089

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BrewDorg

Mr Hoppy - 21l @ 1.082
johnrm - 39l @ 1.082
LordEoin  - 21l @ 1.080
Cambrinus- 23l @ 1.089
BrewDorg - 19L @ 1.085

Dr Horrible

Couldn't resist posting the annual update - mad to see where we were a year ago. So the Courage stout is in, along with the Brett and was busy for about a week before calming down which was probably the different yeasts competing. Will probably take the summer to start seeing a bit of Brett flavour in the beer, going to let this one go for a good long time and see what happens!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk