• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 03:25:44 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Raspberry Milkshake Beer

Started by Water_Wolf, May 14, 2018, 12:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mick02

Quote from: DEMPSEY on August 10, 2018, 10:12:19 AM
with the rasberrys in secondary do they kick off a second fermentation.  Also do they stay sweet or do they add some tartness to the beer. :-\
If I remember correctly (keep in mind I had numerous beers at the time) but I remember the raspberries giving a nice tartness to the beer that worked well with the lactose and vanilla. I'm just hoping my effort comes out as well.
NHC Committee member

JDC

with the rasberrys in secondary do they kick off a second fermentation.  Also do they stay sweet or do they add some tartness to the beer. :-\

I've made this beer twice and didn't take a gravity reading either side of adding the raspberries either time, so couldn't say for certain.  However, there was no visible action after adding them, so if there was a second fermentation, it was minimal.  I would say that the sweetness shines through and that there was no real tartness with either of my versions.
Garden County Brewers

https://gcbrewers.wordpress.com/

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

mick02

Quote from: JDC on August 10, 2018, 01:32:36 PM

I've made this beer twice and didn't take a gravity reading either side of adding the raspberries either time, so couldn't say for certain.  However, there was no visible action after adding them, so if there was a second fermentation, it was minimal.  I would say that the sweetness shines through and that there was no real tartness with either of my versions.
That's weird. I could have sworn that the raspberry gave some acidity or tartness to the beer. Looks like my day beers affected my memory.
NHC Committee member

mick02

Just an update. I brewed this beer and brought it to a party at the weekend and it was absolutely devoured.

Great recipe, thanks again for sharing Jonathan.
NHC Committee member

JDC

Quote from: mick02 on September 05, 2018, 11:56:39 AM
Just an update. I brewed this beer and brought it to a party at the weekend and it was absolutely devoured.

Great recipe, thanks again for sharing Jonathan.

Great stuff Mick - delighted it worked out alright.

Will be next year before I brew this one again, but definitely one I'll revisit each year.
Garden County Brewers

Water_Wolf

I'm still waiting to get a chance to brew this! I'm going to split the batch in two and do half with raspberries and half with rhubarb.

Water_Wolf

I thought I should post an update here before I forget again!

I brewed this earlier in the year, keeping fairly close to the original recipe - I upped the fruit content and reduced the hops a bit. I split the batch in two, half raspberry and half rhubarb (I juiced the fruits and added the juice). Both turned out well, the raspberry being nice and tart and the rhubarb being a bit like a kettle sour. It would be interesting to try this out with some other fruit too!

JDC

Nice one - the rhubarb version sounds interesting.

Yeah, it's not the cheapest beer to make what all that Mosaic and Vanilla, but I'll be making version 3 within the next fortnight.  I'll stick with the raspberries this time as I just love them.  I will however be using pure Vanilla extract (for the first time) instead of Vanilla Pods with this one, so hopefully will be as good.
Garden County Brewers