• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 10:35:15 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

No yeast activity after 2.5 days - Help!

Started by Pereubu, April 25, 2019, 10:36:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pereubu

Hi all. I did a version of Caribou Slobber Brown Ale, for 23L. The recipe calls for a half volume boil (12L) which I did, and topped up at the end. I did have a lot of trouble getting the temp down though, as I tried using a 5L water bottle that I filled with ice cubes, I sanitized the outside of it with StarSan, but temp was very slow coming down so I ran a batch of cold water and put the Fermenter with the wort into that. Eventually after a few hours it cooled. Next step was to add the Yeast which was a Wyeast smack pack, I smacked it but then realised I needed to wait 3 hours for it to activate. I decided to just pitch it in after around 1 hour, so it was probably still a bit cool from the fridge. I know that when the yeast is cold it can take a bit longer to get started, but is 2 and a half days too long now? I put a brewbelt on the fermenter to try to get it started with a little extra heat. When should I consider another yeast pitch? Sorry for all the info but I just want to know if I did anything wrong along the way thanks all.

DEMPSEY

Did you check if the gravity has dropped any. It may be your yeast is underpitched in which case it would take a good while to grow enough to get things moving. If that is the case then you would end up with some off flavours. Get some dry yeast and pitch it.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Pereubu

Thanks. No movement on gravity, just pitched 2nd lot of yeast. I rehydrated it first though. Fingers crossed as the beer still smells great!

CH

Are you sure you broke the seal in the yeast and not just the feed solution, did you look in the pack, have you used them before?
You 100% certain it's sealed, bubblers are temperamental things. 

Pereubu

It's sealed. No krausen at all. And no change in gravity too. Just found out that pack was out of date by 2 months when used. I bought it a month ago so it was out of date then! I've emailed the supplier about it as it was part of an extract recipe kit so it shouldn't have been out of date. Anyway, the new yeast pitch will reveal more information.

CH

Start again too late to pitch again now.
It will start in about 2-3 days time but stressed to feck at this point and will have all sorts of stressed yeast off flavours
This is complete BS from hb shops, first thing I do is check bb dates on yeast delivered but I shouldn't have to

Pereubu

Should I ask the Homebrew shop for a full replacement of the extract kit, as the yeast sent ruined the entire brew. Total cost was 42 euro!

Pereubu

Also, if this new yeast pitch gets going quickly should I keep going with it. How bad will the off flavors be? If not too bad I might just keep it.

Pereubu

What I mean is the new yeast won't be stressed if it starts quickly, and the old yeast never even started as it was all dead already before pitching, so no off flavors from that. Thanks again.

Slev

Keep going with it. It'll be fine. The dry yeast will do its job. The finished beer may have Influences from the liquid yeast, but unless you are very familiar with the recipe, its very unlikely you'll really notice much, bar its done something funky. Just be patient, let the yeast do its thing (and resist the urge to open the fermenter to sample. It'll be ready in 2-3 weeks- take your gravity then)

DEMPSEY

Dead yeast can be useful as a yeast food for fresh yeast so fingers crossed
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Pereubu

Thanks guys. Really appreciate all the help.