• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 07:37:57 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

ArdBir (formally BrewPi Spark) Herms Build

Started by molc, July 01, 2015, 03:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

molc

July 01, 2015, 03:09:24 PM Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 03:40:26 PM by molc
So, I'm going to bite the bullet and put together a version of electric brewery, but with tweaks to make it more modular and upgrade-able as my demands from the kit increase. I don't want to do this as a single build, but more as a set of upgrades over time, that all add to to the final system. You can follow along here and see all the silly things I do, to your hearts content ;)

Goals:
* < €1000 for the initial manual build.
* BrewPi Spark systems for the PID, so I don't end up with a massive control board and wires all over the place.
* Run on domestic power supply, with 2.5kW low density elements. The BK can be upgraded to 5kW when power is upgraded. At that point, the HLT will get the old 2.5kW element.
* Keggle based.
* Iterative build. Each part will be merged into my existing setup and used as a manual HERMS, so there's no waiting around to play with the toys.

So far, the first part of the parts are ordered, mostly from the brewPi site, as they have a lot of what is needed:
* Camlock Fittings
* Heating element enclosure for Camco element.
* 2.5kW Camco low density element
* SS Herms coil, plus all associated fittings from brewPi
* Brewpi temperature probes that can be inserted inline

I'll take a pic when everything arrives. I expect this to take a while :D

Costs so far:
Fittings for BK, herms for HLT, whirlpool arm, hauxexe for hop filtering, pumps and quick disconnect plumping: €540
2.5kW Element: €70
BK Keg: €20
Sight glass for BK and HLT: €50

Waiting on the group buy for pumps, but that will be about another €300, which brings the total up-to ~€1k

Hopefully in 1-2 months, I'll have:
- Keggle BK
- Modified Plastic HLT, with all the final SS parts installed
- Modified Cooler Mash Tun, with all the final SS installed
- Manual Herms, with all temp probes installed and logging data until brewPi is ready to start control.
- Cleaning will still involve moving everything around.

Final Build:
- Motorised values, controlled by Brewpi. This is the largest expense, as all the existing manual values will need to be replaced. Hoping to sell these on so there is no loss here.
- In situ keggles for Mash Tun and HLT
- WetVac for cleaning the damn thing.
- Static hosing, fitted above and below keggles, to allow to gravity draining and in situ cleaning.
- Most likely will need to build a final stand for all the kit once it's a static rig.

For an idea of the normal usage, check out elco's post:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=490798

Pdf with all the control states:
https://github.com/BrewPi/herms-layout/blob/master/pdf/BrewPi-HERMS-drawing.pdf?raw=true
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

biertourist

VERY excited about this build.

Should be a sneak peak into the next generation of brewing systems.

Adam

molc

Order put through for the parts in 1/2" BSP. This will cover all the plumbing that will be needed for all 3 keggles, except the MT filter (reusing existing part) and a second element enclosure for the HLT (to be bought in the future when power upgraded).

2x THREADED ONEWIRE TEMPERATURE SENSOR
2x 1/2" BSP TEE (3X FEMALE)
2x 1/2" BSP HEX NIPPLE
7x 2-PIECE FULL BORE BALL VALVE WITH LOCKING HANDLE
4x 1/2" BSP FEMALE (TYPE A) CAMLOCK FITTING
8x 1/2" BSP MALE TYPE F CAMLOCK FITTING
2x WELDLESS KETTLE INLET KIT (BARBED)   
1x WELDLESS LOW PROFILE DIP TUBE KIT
1x WELDLESS WHIRLPOOL KETTLE INLET KIT
4x BARB (TYPE C) CAMLOCK FITTING - HIGH FLOW
4x (FDA GRADE, 11MM ID X 18MM OD) PER METER
8x HOSE CLAMP (12-22 MM)
1x HEATING ELEMENT ENCLOSURE KIT
1x BREWPI/MATMILL LAUTERHEXE KIT
1x WELDLESS HERMS COIL KIT

Total: €550

Still need to get the pumps and upgrade an existing immersion chiller to counterflow with appropriate fittings. Also will need to make two more camlock hoses when two pumps are being used. Also will pick up insulation for the keggles for effeciency. Since I'm planning to use a counterflow chiller, all 3 keggles will be fully insulated.

One potential issue will be getting the HERMS coil into a keggle. It's 30cm diameter and I think that's around the same size as the hole I'll be making. It should be 38cm ID, but we'll see ;)

nigel_c

The brewpi stuff looks great. I'd love an upgrade but if I get any more stuff I may be divorced .

nigel_c

I'm thinking of going down the counter flow chiller as a HERMS rout.
A 20 plate chiller from aliexpress is about €50 delivered. Run mash through it with hlt in opposite direction and hey presto HERMS.
Also can be used as a chiller I suppose.

molc

No reason why not. I currently use my immersion chilled as a herms and it's working brilliantly. I just pop it into the sparge water and run the wort through, then pass the sparge water through after to clean it.

Main reason for the build is to get rid of all my wibbly wobbly plastic boilers. Adding herms is only costing me an extra 100 for the coil.

Dint worry, once I start posting pics of all that shiny stainless steel, I'm sure you'll start getting tempted... ;)

nigel_c

I'm already tempted.
If be the same. I want to get a solid build. I have had little to no problems with my current setup but..... Monkey see monkey want.

molc

The parts have arrived. :D Think I'll build a plastic boil kettle this weekend to test it all out. The camlocks are brilliant!

armedcor

Leann ull

molc

Why you think I'm testing everything on a plastic bucket first!

pob

Major jealousy. Looks great.

Damo

For starters, I'd get rid of the gremlin!

You don't want him getting involved 😜

DEMPSEY

What size is the sheet metal punches :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

molc

Quote from: DEMPSEY on July 13, 2015, 10:22:37 PM
What size is the sheet metal punches :)
13/16" for all the 1/2 BSP fittings, 1 1/4" for the camco element.

The element enclosure is excellent. A perfect fit and it's earthed with a cable gland.