• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 12:49:35 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

ArdBir (formally BrewPi Spark) Herms Build

Started by molc, July 01, 2015, 03:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pob

Quote from: Shanna on September 10, 2016, 07:15:34 PM
For the DC side of the brewpi that feeds the DC power to the SSR how did you connect this up to the brew pi. I assume that ths yere is some cabling that includes a ground and 5V DC? Any photos you could provide would be appreciated. I promise I am sold on the BrewPi now after reading the different reviews but I would still like to understand how it works.
Shanna

You can substitute 2 SSRs for the relay; pins 5 & 6 to SSR DC+ & return to ground on SSR DC-.

Effectively its a glorified, but very smart STC1000; the 2 temp probes are to manage temp control in ferment chamber so you don't have outside of the FV @ 60C while the beer in the middle of the FV is still playing catch up. Typically you'd set a max temp for the chamber, eg 25C so it stops heating once air temp reaches that (& tops up once it drops) and allows beer to follow. Similarly it would also have the same for a min temp, so you don't end up freezing beer closest to outside of FV and causing the yeast to drop out/stall. The PID manages how fast it slows down the heat/cooling cycle.

You could use a simple dev/project board shield to connect up to the SSRs.

molc

I'll take a pic of the rig later, but basically you have two DC wires per output port (GND and +12V I think). These connect to the + and negative terminals on an SSR  DC side. The brewpi then just fires the outputs as configured.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter