• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 26, 2024, 04:45:32 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

barrel aged project

Started by kev, December 02, 2012, 03:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hop Bomb

No worries on that front at all as it was well washed. The lambic is a long term project for us & it'll probably be two or more years before we get a good blend from it. By then anyone who isnt in to sours probably will be & we wont be going "we should have done this last year" or whatever.

Where would one go to get another fresh barrel? Is there a distillery in Killbeggan still? We'd like to keep the barrel aged RIS brew going. 
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

eanna

The stout that came out of the barrel was so good that we all wanted to do it again. Well worth the time we put in!

St. Fursey

Quote from: Il Tubo on November 22, 2013, 10:31:18 AM

Perhaps worthy of a discussion in its own right, but our resident lambic experts advised against a lambic on the basis that the stout that house soaked into the barrel would be overpowering, and that perhaps an oud bruin (or flanders red) would be a wise intermediate step to wallpaper over the stout.

Thoughts?

RDWHAHB!
I think that the volume of fresh lambic will dilute whatever stout has soaked into the barrel. Sure there's nothing like a bit of experimentation to find out for sure.
Our barrel washing technique was nothing short of awesome, watch this space for photos...

+1 on doing the RIS again, I'd love to make it an annual event

What size are the wine barrels TubeMan?

Hop Bomb

Im guessing the 9 barrels arent all for you Tube?
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

St. Fursey

Quote from: Il Tubo on November 22, 2013, 06:04:47 PM
225L. You're still in?

Definitely

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk