• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 08:17:54 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

home made wort chiller

Started by DrowningManatee, March 29, 2013, 12:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrowningManatee

was watching a few videos there and it seems simple enough (famous last words), just coil the copper tubing around a eg. paint tin, then attach the hosing, clamp it and attach to tap via attachment.

So im getting 10M coppor wire 10mm, suitable hosing w/clamps, and hose attachment for tap. Should come to about 40euro.

Ill post pics when im done, any advice on cheap spots in galway to buy stuff cheaper than woodies'd be great :)
Primary :
Grapefruit mead

Secondary:
Orange Blossom Mead
Blackberry Mead

Bottled:

Ciderhead

March 29, 2013, 12:48:13 AM #1 Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 12:48:58 AM by Ciderhead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vipL11vq_g8

was in B&Q in waterford today 30% off everything, is athlone doing the same?

J o e

You said you were getting a stock pot for partial extract brews didn't ya? In that case you'll get away with just sitting the stock pot into a sink of cold water for 10mins or so to chill enough. When brought up to volume with cold (tap) water I usually get it to hit ~20deg mark.

Then again if you're planning on going full-volume you'll need a wort chiller eventually!

DrowningManatee

March 29, 2013, 02:10:49 AM #3 Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 01:41:57 PM by MicksMagicMix
got the stockpot and brewed the other day, went well, but i bought 3bags of ice and put the pot in the sink with it. It took about 45 mins to cool (to 30 C) and that was with me rubbing ice all over the pot the whole time. And i had the lid on for fear of contamination, is this not necessary? The load was 12.5L.

Wouldnt mind making something anyways for the craic, ill probably get around to try making a mashtun etc down the line, but this seems pretty simple to begin with.
Primary :
Grapefruit mead

Secondary:
Orange Blossom Mead
Blackberry Mead

Bottled:

DrowningManatee

thats the same video i watched as well, seems like your just paying 70 euro for a bit o coppor piping you can buy for 30...
Primary :
Grapefruit mead

Secondary:
Orange Blossom Mead
Blackberry Mead

Bottled:

Hop Bomb

Did you make your chiller? I was in b&q yesterday & they have 10 meter coil of 10mm copper pipe or 30e.
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

DrowningManatee

sweet, thats about 4 quid cheaper than woodies, will probably go there in the next few days anyways. didnt realise galway had a b&q, nice one dude. Cheers guys fer the help :)
Primary :
Grapefruit mead

Secondary:
Orange Blossom Mead
Blackberry Mead

Bottled:

Shanna

If there are builders or plumbing suplliers near you try them for 10mm coiled copper. They can often be cheaper than either woodies or b and q.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

DEMPSEY

If any of you want to build a counter flow chiller,we will have a wiki up soon. Cathalbrua and I put one together on tuesday and documented it for an article.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

DrowningManatee

had a cursory glanca at buildings suppliers there Shanna, couldnt make sense of all the 1's and 0's so I think ill just go with b&q, thanks though, im sure someone with a better head for this would sort it out cheaper your way :)

Already got me heart set on building the normal chiller, but the counterflow seems to be a cool option too, lookin forward to the article...

Just waitin to free up enough funds now for this copper pipe   :o
Primary :
Grapefruit mead

Secondary:
Orange Blossom Mead
Blackberry Mead

Bottled:

Ciderhead

April 04, 2013, 10:02:45 PM #10 Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 10:03:10 PM by Ciderhead
Saw the pictures  [smiley=cheesy.gif] [smiley=cheesy.gif] [smiley=cheesy.gif]
Cant wait 8-)

Shanna

Hi there

Not sure I get the ref to 1 and 0. As your saying you have to save for the piping anyway, woodies and b&q tend in general to be more expensive for things as they command a premium for Sunday opening hours and large stock size. 

I have found certain things like copper pipe in plumbers suppliers to be cheaper than woodies or bandq but this is by no means definitive. Latest pipe work I bought 2 metres of half inch copper piping for under €5. Guy who cut it actually gave me over 2 metres. Same product from woodies was €15.

Shanna

Quotehad a cursory glanca at buildings suppliers there Shanna, couldnt make sense of all the 1's and 0's so I think ill just go with b&q, thanks though, im sure someone with a better head for this would sort it out cheaper your way :)

Already got me heart set on building the normal chiller, but the counterflow seems to be a cool option too, lookin forward to the article...

Just waitin to free up enough funds now for this copper pipe   :o
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

kev

If you ask the guys in the building suppliers they're normally pretty helpful especially if you know roughly what you're looking for.

DrowningManatee

cheers guys,
i meant i was lookin at the internet for suppliers and couldnt really make sense of the listings. Im sure if i'd looked hard enough i woulda found somewhere, but id no credit to go ringing round checking availability etc.
One o the boys says he has some spare pipe he can give me at the next meetin the legend, so im all sorted anyways, thanks though, sounds like i woulda been wasting money goin to the big guys aright :)
The help from ye guys on this forum is incredible, ill have to give some meself once I get me ducks in a row :)
Primary :
Grapefruit mead

Secondary:
Orange Blossom Mead
Blackberry Mead

Bottled:

DrowningManatee

barkar had a spare pipe there, already bent and all so all ill have to do is bend the two ends so theyll peek out the pot and attach hose and clamps, pretty much setup already, delighted. Will post photos anyways since tghe threads here...
Primary :
Grapefruit mead

Secondary:
Orange Blossom Mead
Blackberry Mead

Bottled: