• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 07:36:30 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

home made wort chiller

Started by DrowningManatee, March 29, 2013, 12:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barkar

Quotebarkar had a spare pipe there, already bent and all so all ill have to do is bend the two ends so theyll peek out the pot and attach hose and clamps, pretty much setup already, delighted. Will post photos anyways since tghe threads here...
No bother thanks for the beer, I would put 2 elbow compression with a barb fitting on the ends rather than trying to bend the ends which is hard to do , without kinking

Damien M

I had bought the standard one from one of the shops but found it was too tightly wound so opened it up to a larger diameter to cover more area of the Plastic Bucket type Boiler. Just start at one end and just progressively unwind a bit at a time to a larger diameter  . I also kept most of the coils to the top ( heat rises an all) by using the bottom coil as a stand and spreading out the 2nd and 3rd coil to extend the height.

It gave a much quicker cool down rate reducing by perhaps 5 to 10 minutes.

I have bought one of those solar pumps to boost the circulation and thus the cool down rate as still want a quicker cool rate.

Hop Bomb

That little solar pump is the business.
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

Damien M

Good to hear!

Any tricks or tips for the Pump install. To recirc do you use a rigid copper section to set up a circulation around the bucket? Is it necessary.??

DrowningManatee

nice one, precision chilling :)

mine has the two ends poking out unbent - as in, it sits on it's side in the pot(90 degrees from the way its meant to be), i was gonna bend em and stick the 90degree connection on as barkar said, but i showed pics to the lads in the club and they reckon it's sound as is, also they peek out nicely so most of the lid can cover it while chilling (though im not gettin the height you are - heat rising and that), and I dont get why the copper has to be bent that much at all when the hosing can do all that for you? im not doubting there's perfectly good reasons, just trying to get away with the lazy option.

Had a look there, and cant grasp what the pump does, it says recirculating the water(wort) back in, does this mean just mixing the wort so its hot at the bottom as well?(mixing the wort to even out temp) and can this lead to aeration of the wort before its cooled? technology and diy are a bit new to me...

i have pics and will post em but i have to work out how these online photo webpage addresses work and stuff, and get my hosing and clips....
Primary :
Grapefruit mead

Secondary:
Orange Blossom Mead
Blackberry Mead

Bottled:

DrowningManatee

got some pipe for 7 euro in aldi there (5m) plus various hose clamps for 1 euro in woodies, plus a tap adaptor (6euro)that was supposed to fit an indoor tap (that didnt fit)
but i dont see how, since its expecting a hose adaptor to attach it to, gonna post pics in the mornin...
and then see about gettin another adaptor...
there was one there for a tenner (multifunction), but ill see if its another 1/2 part effort
Primary :
Grapefruit mead

Secondary:
Orange Blossom Mead
Blackberry Mead

Bottled:

Ciderhead

Probably need closer to 10M for it to be effective but let us know how you get on?