• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 25, 2024, 09:01:02 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Barrel project -Kick start!

Started by Kevco5, April 13, 2013, 07:36:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrowningManatee

love to but im headed to dublin for the night, gonna try and find a decent offy for new beers while im there :)
Primary :
Grapefruit mead

Secondary:
Orange Blossom Mead
Blackberry Mead

Bottled:

barkar

Quotelove to but im headed to dublin for the night, gonna try and find a decent offy for new beers while im there :)
Off topic but try probus wines beside the gingerman and the Alexander, my neighbour owns it, great selection and was involved with the Nat comp.knows his stuff about wines ,

re the project don't know about Fridaywill have to discuss with swmbo

eanna

I might make it Friday, but I won't stay out long, have to try to stay fresh for a day's college on Saturday.

I'd still be interested in seeing the clone brews recipe, seems like the only imperial recipe we can think of between us (no offence to barkar's delicious stout, but it was more light and sessionable than I think we want).

Also, I might ask to borrow someone's wort chiller for this one, might give better results over chilling the whole fermenter in a tub of running water.

Hop Bomb

For people who cant go on Fri then we can send on info through email. We dont want to influence any other clubs recipe & vice versa by posting it here.

Pm Kevco5 your email address & he can start an email thread.

St.fursey, Kevco5 & myself spoke a bit about a recipe last night. If we get everyones email we can send it to ye & ye can tell us what you think.

On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

St. Fursey

QuoteThe batches will be fermented individually, removing the risk of the entire batch being affected by an infection during fermentation.
We also discussed the option of brewing individually and then transporting to a central location before pitching yeast - might be a good option too. We'll finalise the plan on Friday!

barkar

Quoteno offence to barkar's delicious stout, but it was more light and sessionable than I think we want).
None taken , glad ye liked it
QuoteThe batches will be fermented individually, removing the risk of the entire batch being affected by an infection during fermentation.
We also discussed the option of brewing individually and then transporting to a central location before pitching yeast - might be a good option too. We'll finalise the plan on Friday!

Just a thought again about this , i am not sure of the style  or the aging process , but would ye not want it fermented out before conditioning in a cask? Do ye want it to sit on the yeast trub for 12 months ? Or is it a possibility of adding a tap on the base to drain this off when ferment is complete

eanna

I think the idea was that we would bring our fermenters to one spot, pitch yeast, and not have to move them too much after that until they ferment out and siphon into the barrel.

barkar

QuoteI think the idea was that we would bring our fermenters to one spot, pitch yeast, and not have to move them too much after that until they ferment out and siphon into the barrel.

Think this just adds extra space problems for hopbomb or whoever is storing it 1 empty barrel and 10 fermentors,

Hop Bomb

Quoteno offence to barkar's delicious stout, but it was more light and sessionable than I think we want).
None taken , glad ye liked it

but would ye not want it fermented out before conditioning in a cask?

He means bringing all the fermentors to one room & ferment in that room. We wouldnt ferment in the barrel obviously.

Ive got room in my garage but Im not sure how Id keep 10 fermentors at proper temp. My garage is pretty much whatever temp it is outside.  Answers on a post card :)

barkar

but would ye not want it fermented out before conditioning in a cask?
He means bringing all the fermentors to one room & ferment in that room. We wouldnt ferment in the barrel obviously.

Well i didn't think that was an option in fairness, but thought id ask

Ive got room in my garage but Im not sure how Id keep 10 fermentors at proper temp. My garage is pretty much whatever temp it is outside.  Answers on a post card :)

Buy a load of camping mats for underneath or a strip of white bubble insulation (snok is that what is call?) to take them off the floor followed by a cheap electric matress (€15 tops in Supervalu, sit  fermentors on top , ye could rig up to a stc 1000 and a temperature probe for more control-

Kevco5

I thought St. Fursey offered a spare room to ferment in aswell as storing the barrel in his garage?

Hop Bomb

A room would be warmer than a garage. Sounds good.

Kevco5

To be confirmed Friday along with everything else!!!

Hop Bomb

Fermentor head space & blow off is defo a factor here with the OG being so high. Something to think about especially if we are fermenting all these in the same room.
We'll need lots of tubing, some empty milk containers & starsan. I can provide the starsan.