• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 24, 2024, 08:43:55 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Cleaning taps and lines between beers

Started by admin, September 18, 2012, 10:06:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

September 18, 2012, 10:06:31 AM Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 10:36:40 AM by admin
Up till now I used always just run a few litres of warm water through everything, but I don't think it's cleaning things out properly. I actually know for a fact that it's not, because I have a keg of plain water on and I can taste a hint of yeast off it from the wit that was on before it.

So I want to really nuke the system between beers. What do other people do?

DEMPSEY

I have a pipe cleaning brush designed for cleaning beer line. It is on a long wire so you can push it all the way through :o
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Eoin

In the boozers we used connect up a barrel similar to a king keg with a strong hypochlorite (beer line cleaner) solution in it this was allowed to sit in the lines for about 20-30 minutes, rumour has it that leaving it too long will make lines porous. Then rinse it out a few times after, if you used a star san rinse it would also take all the hypochlorite and bleach flavours and scents with it. Make sure it's thin bleach.

Eoin

QuoteAny ideas where I'd get such beer line cleaner Eoin?

I'd imagine your local might have some to spare if they're nice. Guinness sell Galon drums of it, or at least I think it was sold, I was never there for that part of the transaction, I just cleaned the lines. I'd imagine though that a good VWP solution put through the lines would have a similar if not better effect.

As long as you flush with star san or other acid based sanitiser afterwards it should be fine as it'll mop up all that steeenken chlorine.

fingalbrewer

I use an oxi-cleaner leave for a few mins then hot water, then star-san, if the line will not be used for a while. just hot water and star-san if it just swapping over to a new beer.

Eoin

QuoteCool.

I've thus far avoided Starsan due to price and limited availability. Looks like I'll just have to bite the bullet.

I'd imagine that a vinegar solution would do the same job at removing the chlorine, but then you need to remove the vinegar and there is the risk of an acetobacter infection. Star San is not actually that expensive, just make it up with good water, make sure it doesn't cloud and you can reuse it over 4-5 brews, so it ends up actually a very economical proposition, and it's simply brilliant at what it does.

Padraic

I'll second that I've had starsan in a bucket for months, just shake it up and it's good to go! I believe there is a ph test but I go by, does it make bubbles/is the liquid clear!

Rossa

I go oxi and starsan but I have started taking my taps apart for a quick clean too. The crud on them can be something else.

fingalbrewer

Rossa, do you rinse after the oxi? as it's alkaline it can stop the star san (an Acid) from working. 

My Star-san is always cloudy, it's something to do with the water hardness. does not stop it from working. I test the pH, as long as it's below 3.5 it's fine

Rossa

QuoteRossa, do you rinse after the oxi? as it's alkaline it can stop the star san (an Acid) from working. 

My Star-san is always cloudy, it's something to do with the water hardness. does not stop it from working. I test the pH, as long as it's below 3.5 it's fine

I do. Always read the label ;)

slayerking

I just use medium strength mix of oxicleaner in warm water, left sit in the beer line for about 10-15 minutes, then rinsed with plenty of clean water. Taste the water towards the end to ensure its ok.
I've started to use Oxicleaner for alot of stuff lately, its really great stuff.

Also tested Oxycleaner on a really old, dried on drop of stout in my drip tray to see if it could remove it, simply poured it in to the drip tray. 5-10 minutes later it was spotless, without scrubbing or touching it at all, just a light rinse needed. Great stuff, just eats organic material and rinses away easily!

Eoin

Oxi can have a powdery residue/film if you have pretty hard water.

slayerking

QuoteOxi can have a powdery residue/film if you have pretty hard water.

I use to notice the powdery residue alright when using soda crystals (washing soda) so I stopped using them but I haven't noticed it much with any of the Oxi brands I've been using (Lidl brand or Vanish).
Once, I did notice it left a bit of a residue inside my autosyphon, but I think that was my own fault, I left it steeping in it for a fair while!

Cahalbrua

i use vwp or youngs sterilizer and rinse.if you want to try that strong line cleaner they use in the pubs i can give you some have'nt used it yet myself.got a half full gallon bottle of a guy that those the cleaning.
Starsan is very pricey,does anyone remember the guy that was selling this non-rinse sanitizer on beoir he was somewhere around dublin 12,was much cheaper