• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 12:56:11 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Open Ardbir - Open source platform for brewing process control and automation

Started by gazz, September 18, 2015, 11:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darren996

Ok, this farkin relay won't work for me.. i cant get it to power my 12v pump

This is the relay i got
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/5V-12V-24V-10A-1-Channel-Relay-Module-Optocoupler-H-L-Level-Triger-for-Arduino-/131584267865?var=&hash=item1ea3089659:m:mDBIexHsWx7fhkZecRuGDqQ

From the ardbir pump terminal I connected +  and - to dc+ and dc- on the relay.
I connected dc+ from the power supply to the com port on the relay.
I connected the dc+ to power the pump to the NO port.

When I turn on the ardbir and go into manual mode and turn the pump on the green light comes on on the relay but doesn't energise the pump.  I thought the relay should connect com and no and complete the circuit.

Noob alert - what do the jumpers do on this, the are flaggerd as low and high, mine is set to high.
Also there is a third In connector, what does this do..

Help would be greatly appreciated....

pob

auralabuse

Shit, I got that relay too, you know what your doing... I have no idea, for what it's worth I got 3 just in case one had a problem. Your welcome to try one in case a hardware fault is suspected

darren996

Cheers, thanks for the offer i am sure its me and not the relay. I bought two so I am going to try the other one now... theres a lot of head scratchin goin on

darren996

Edit... dont do what I did. I think i killed the pimp out on the ardbir panel

pjfrad

Quote from: kenmc on January 25, 2016, 01:44:49 PM

I didn't realize that the official ardbir produced 12v output switches for the relays. My board is running at 5 volts everywhere.

Diagram attached hopefully should clear it up

Thanks for the replied guys. 

Kenmc - I think I did test that configuration at some point playing around.  However I now think that somewhere in the process of playing around I've damaged the ardbir board.  I think I've killed the transistors, when I tested with a multimeter the pump terminals on the ardbir  either "on" or "off" are showing about 10v and the heat terminals on the ardbir  either "on" or "off" are showing about 0.01v.

:(

auralabuse

Quote from: darren996 on January 26, 2016, 09:39:45 PM
Sorted there now.. just follow kenmc diagram.
For this relay you need to do the following:
Jumper on hi
Dc+ from 12v power supply to com.
Run another dc+ from power source to the in terminal.
Ardbir pump + and - to relay dc+ and dc-.

Relay is clicking now and a red light is coming on.
Lovely, that's my go to guide sorted 😎

johnrm

@pjfrad, contact the lad that makes then, he's on here. He would be best to advise.

kenmc

Jumper on hi

Did you try switching the +12v of the IN and the DC+? i.e. have RELAY IN to ardbir pump + and have Power Supply +12v to the relay DC+
From what I understand of what you've said, you're using the ardbir board to power the relay board rather than to activate the coil, which might damage the ardbir board due to current draw - it sounds like it's doing the same thing, and at an overall effect it is, but the relay IN is probably expecting only a few milliamps, whereas the whole board is probably drawing a fair bit more.

kenmc

Quote from: pjfrad on January 26, 2016, 10:41:32 PM
Quote from: kenmc on January 25, 2016, 01:44:49 PM

I didn't realize that the official ardbir produced 12v output switches for the relays. My board is running at 5 volts everywhere.

Diagram attached hopefully should clear it up

Thanks for the replied guys. 

Kenmc - I think I did test that configuration at some point playing around.  However I now think that somewhere in the process of playing around I've damaged the ardbir board.  I think I've killed the transistors, when I tested with a multimeter the pump terminals on the ardbir  either "on" or "off" are showing about 10v and the heat terminals on the ardbir  either "on" or "off" are showing about 0.01v.

:(

If they're not showing any differences in voltage when changing between ON and OFF, then yeah I'd say something has died all right. It might be possible to replace them, but how to find which ones are dead is the issue. As johnrm suggested try contacting the maker see if he can help.

where are you based?

darren996

Quote from: kenmc on January 27, 2016, 10:18:05 AM
Jumper on hi

Did you try switching the +12v of the IN and the DC+? i.e. have RELAY IN to ardbir pump + and have Power Supply +12v to the relay DC+
From what I understand of what you've said, you're using the ardbir board to power the relay board rather than to activate the coil, which might damage the ardbir board due to current draw - it sounds like it's doing the same thing, and at an overall effect it is, but the relay IN is probably expecting only a few milliamps, whereas the whole board is probably drawing a fair bit more.
No didnt try that.  I think i killed my pump out on the ardbir, i will get onto Davide to see what he has to say

kenmc

I think you did what I was afraid would happen :(
Like I said, I don't have any official version of ardbir so am trying to find schematics etc online to work out what's going on so can't give specific answers unfortunately.

terragady

simply use this relay http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pcs-lot-SRA-12VDC-CL-5-Pins-RELAY-12V-20A-for-DC-Coil-Power/32649265894.html
and connect it as on the attached sketch and should work.

BTW why most of the new PCBs are using special mosfets instead of BC337 transistors? The OLD PCB for Arduino Uno was only with BC337 and now the change it for pump and buzzer. Is there any particular reason?