• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 02:47:27 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Whitewater Brewery Belfast Ale.

Started by Greg2013, October 05, 2015, 02:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg2013

I picked up a bottle of this beer when i was up at the Titanic experience a little while back. Never saw it down south before so had to get one. It was a bit meh tbh,not horrible but a bit thin and grainy tasting.However in researching it i came across some info which said that Whitewater use yeast from the "old Belfast Brewery" for brewing this ale. I only had the one bottle so of course i had to try growing it up in some pale malt starter as you can see below.

If anyone has any further info on what this yeast might be i would appreciate it. Also anybody interested in some let me know. ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

irish_goat

I'm not 100% sure but I think they might pasteurise their beer. They definitely filter it anyway so I dunno if you'll get many viable yeast cells from one bottle.

Greg2013

Quote from: irish_goat on October 05, 2015, 03:05:59 PM
I'm not 100% sure but I think they might pasteurise their beer. They definitely filter it anyway so I dunno if you'll get many viable yeast cells from one bottle.

Well it was bottle conditioned so i assumed from that there were viable yeasties to be had,the starter was OG 1050 and while it took a good 24 hours it is now bubbling away like the clappers so i have high hopes.That said i have no idea if the yeast they brew this with is the same one they use to bottle condition ? ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)