• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 06:17:55 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

It's Friday night, what are you drinking?

Started by LordEoin, April 18, 2015, 10:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taf

Quote from: Taf on November 06, 2015, 01:09:03 PM
Will be drinking these babies tonight, which I got as a surprise yesterday from a colleague visiting from the US. He reckons the heady topper was only canned a few weeks ago. Will post back in relation to how good they are.

Heady Topper was decent, with good fresh fruity flavours, and I know the yeast is important in this beer, but can't help feeling that it also gets in the way of the taste. Was careful pouring the can, but still quite a haze. I've heard that it should be drunk straight from the can, but not sure about that.

I think I actually preferred the Jai Alai, as the yeast didn't seem to get in the way, and the flavour was lovely and fresh, although the can did advise to pour carefully.

What I did like about these two beers was the lack of crystal or any of those other sweet darkish malts that ruin most double IPA's for me.

Bubbles

Quote from: Taf on November 09, 2015, 12:26:57 PMI've heard that it should be drunk straight from the can, but not sure about that.

I never understood why they emblazon this across the top of the can. What craft beer tastes and smells better from a can, seriously??

It must be some silly marketing gimmick.

Pheeel

Quote from: Taf on November 09, 2015, 12:26:57 PM
Heady Topper was decent, with good fresh fruity flavours, and I know the yeast is important in this beer, but can't help feeling that it also gets in the way of the taste. Was careful pouring the can, but still quite a haze. I've heard that it should be drunk straight from the can, but not sure about that.

It's supposed to be hazy
Issues with your membership? PM me!

Taf

Quote from: Pheeel on November 09, 2015, 01:00:46 PM
Quote from: Taf on November 09, 2015, 12:26:57 PM

It's supposed to be hazy

That's what they say, but why would they purposely brew a hazey beer? Maybe it's due to them trying to get it to market asap, and aren't filtering etc, which I understand and appreciate, but still not sure what benefit the haze brings. I doubt they would be saying to drink it striaght from the can, if it wasn't so hazy.

Pheeel

Quote from: Taf on November 09, 2015, 01:26:16 PM
That's what they say, but why would they purposely brew a hazey beer? Maybe it's due to them trying to get it to market asap, and aren't filtering etc, which I understand and appreciate, but still not sure what benefit the haze brings. I doubt they would be saying to drink it striaght from the can, if it wasn't so hazy.

It's their 'thing'. It's unfiltered and unpasteurised. There have been some hazy IPA's out Stateside recently due to TH. I don't get it myself!

AJ_Rowley

The yeast they use is a low flocculator, apparently it's an English strain, though other people suspect it could have Belgian origins as some of the characteristics it produces at different ferm temps.

Qs

In Against the Grain. Having an 8 degrees Big River, definitely much better than their bottled stuff.. Outstanding beer.

Pheeel

Quote from: Qs on November 14, 2015, 08:20:14 PM
In Against the Grain. Having an 8 degrees Big River, definitely much better than their bottled stuff.. Outstanding beer.

Yep i agree, much better than in the bottle

Jonnycheech

Quote from: Qs on November 14, 2015, 08:20:14 PM

Is that the beer IPA that tastes like grapefruit?
Tapped:
Fermentors:
Bottled:

molc

Yup. We had it at the exam on Sunday from the tap. Tasty tasty.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

dcalnan

Having a 8 degrees Millennium imperial ipa, really nice and balanced for a 10% beer, great beer to celebrate the 1000 brew. Have to try the big river ipa, and the elbow lane/bradley's collaboration Vienna lager soon as well.

Keg

A Dutch beer called Stout Met Hout, reminds me of 200 Fathoms!

Qs

Had a couple of local seasonals over the weekend, Wicklow Wolfs A Beer Named Rwanda (coffee brown ale) and OBrothers Joe (coffee porter). Both were really great beers. I preffered the Obrother though because it was just perfectly balanced IMO. Not too coffee-ey, not too roasty and not too bitter but all were present and enjoyable.

johnrm

I had OHaras Hop Adventure - Sorachi Ace
Single Hop - It was OK, but I thought the Hop was a tad menthol.

RobShamrock