• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 01:50:58 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

It's Friday night, what are you drinking?

Started by LordEoin, April 18, 2015, 10:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HomeBrewWest

Barbie time, handed a Stella "Cidre" . . . bit sweet . . . looked at ingredients - only 50% apples!

An Independent Golden Ale on the way, so all is not lost.

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." Abraham Lincoln. www.homebrewwest.ie

Leann ull

Some amazing pale from Lamberts Brewery, only just pipped at the post by a Cascade Helles from Jakub yum!

Bazza

Was out for a bite in Navan yesterday evening and had a pint of a red ale recommended by one of the staff. It was only when I saw the bill that I realised I'd been drinking Cute Hoor. I'd already made my mind up about it before that. Not good. Kinda like Smithwicks pale. Utterly pointless drink.

- Barry
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx

dcalnan

June 06, 2016, 09:13:51 PM #213 Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 09:48:18 PM by irish_goat
Opened up an eight degrees Citra, but saw this before drinking sniffed it, tasted it and dumped it. Have had this happen a few times with their beers especially their one off IPAs.

edit: resized massive photo.

irish_goat

Looks bad alright. They used to have bottling issues a few years ago but I thought they were all sorted. I'm sure if you email that pic and the bottle number they'd sort you out.

LordEoin

After a tiring evening of turning turf, I decided to treat myself to a couple of the finest beers i could find in the local Centra.
The choice of swill was pretty pathetic and I ended up walking out with 2 Smirnoff Ice.
Best decision ever! I'm gonna have to clone this heaven nectar  ;D

dcalnan

You got iced bro! But yeah I'll probably email them, moved onto some Maltese beer afterwards and that was slightly better.

mr hoppy

Quote from: dcalnan on June 06, 2016, 09:13:51 PM
Opened up an eight degrees Citra, but saw this before drinking sniffed it, tasted it and dumped it. Have had this happen a few times with their beers especially their one off IPAs.

edit: resized massive photo.

What did it smell / taste of?

mr hoppy

Probably says it elsewhere on the site but Lidl are doing a 6 pack of Van Steenberge beers for $15 at the mo. Some aren't bad, particularly considering the completely outrageous prices comparable brews cost.

dcalnan

There was a slight sourness, hard to get with all the hops, but the main thing that gave it away was the mouthfeel, thick and syrupy ,and when shaking the glass it moves like a syrup, my guess is pediococcus/ lactic bacteria.

Leann ull

June 07, 2016, 10:58:09 AM #220 Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 11:08:44 AM by CH
Email them, with batch number, I'm sure they will want to know and tell us how you get on.
I did it a couple of years ago and was dismissed initially by email until I rocked up at the door explained who I was and why I knew there was a problem with the product, I walked them through the problem by making them drink it which they fully accepted, it was just one batch from high ferment temps.
As a brewer forgetting the negative publicity I'd want to know if my beer wasn't right for public consumption so I could address what problem was.

A case in my own industry where water bottles were full of something they shouldn't have been was simply down to stacked bottles outside sitting on wet cardboard dividing layers, bugs got in and had a field day and made lots of folks very ill. Fillers didn't notice as cardboard had dried.

My point is usually it's pretty simple issue to resolve and better to be aware of the problem and deal with it than have folks think it's supposed to taste like that or worse make them sick

Leann ull

My first beer where I can honestly say to myself I did everything right on fresh H Head grain, hops, water, MT, fermenting conditioning, etc, a cal common fermented using 810 for 3 weeks and conditioned at 8 degrees for a month, there is a problem though she likes it as well

molc

One of my favourite styles to brew. Always have a keg of this in the house. Due another batch soon in fact!
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Qs

Looks amazing. I've never brewed a Cal Common. I might add one to the list for autumn.

DEMPSEY

White gypsy Ruby-red  for me again  tonight :D
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us