• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 26, 2024, 06:20:24 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

3 keg brewery build

Started by Spud395, September 20, 2012, 08:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spud395

Cheers Chris.

I have to credit Tucan with both the idea and the insulation for the mash tun. He's the insulation expert and I just copied the way he had insulated his keg/mash tun (Declan drop Tucan a pm re:insulation spec)

For the fittings I just use standard 1/2" copper with the regular brass compression fittings.
I used a 125mm brass running nipple to fix to the keg with a back nut and washer inside and out, just leaving enough thread on the inside to allow another brass fitting to fix my copper pipe.

I put a bend in the pipe and it finishes 2mm off the bottom of the vessel, leaving no dead space.
Insulate snug around the long running nipple on the outside and add a 1/2 ball valve. I added a brass elbow to the ball valve and a hoselock fitting (I have these on all my vessels now)
This allows me to attach my hoses where I want

Mash tun draining into underback before pumping back up to boiler

Non modo......sed etiam

christhebrewer

This is a great way to build a brewery. Sometimes I wish I still had mine. My new super funky system will probably be only as good as it and still isn't finished.
My masn tun has 50mm kingspan foam all round inc base and lid.
The differences between mine and Spud's is mine has a centre drain using a 1/2 inch tank fitting. I don't know how Spud has finished his lid but I used the same foam lid but with a plywood disc on top. This allowed me to use a ratchet strap to hold it tight.
Mine looses less than 1deg over 2 hours. I expect Spud's is even better with the thicker insulation.
My new 70l ss insulated pot(from ebay) looses 3 deg in one hour! I'm using a HERMS this time so that shouldn't matter. But be warned, the insulation in those ebay pots is not great.

Rossa

That is some setup. Very nice.

Shanna

Hi Chris and Spud,

Thanks for the info. I will contact tucan re the insulation. I see where this is going and I suspect it involves purchasing a pump :-)

Declan
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Spud395

This solar projects pump is the one I use Declan, I've been using it since Christmas last year and I'm happy with it so far.

I would prolly put in a center drain if I was doing it again Chris, the build evolved as it was happening.
One advantage of the way I have it done is it helps hold the false bottom in place.
Non modo......sed etiam

christhebrewer

Position of the drain is purely down to how you want the set to link together and the space you have. My old system was all hard piped so the bottom drain was fine and kept the valve out of your way.  If you are using disconectable hoses it would be a pain in the arse to reach in underneath. You could, of course, have a bottom drain with a 90deg tank fitting and bring the pipe to the front just below the keg.
I vote for the solar projects pump too. Great little pump for €35, a fraction of the price of anything bigger. I couldn't find anything else for under €180.