• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 03:06:07 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Let the games begin

Started by Sorcerers Apprentice, November 15, 2015, 02:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorcerers Apprentice

Finally getting around to sorting out my build
I picked up this on adverts, I may cover the shelf with plexiglass and mount the instrumentation and switches in it.
Next stop Brew Pi for stainless fittings, I ordered some 3/4" to 1/2" reducers from Ali Express for the centre inlets of the Chuggers, but the machining on them  was quite poor, with a very rough internal surface. I'm presuming Brew Pi fittings are of a higher standard?
There's no such thing as bad beer - some just taste better than others

Oh Crap

Cool.. keep the pics coming, I'm modifying/upgrading my own rig so nice to watch others ideas😄
Beer
1 is good, 2 is better, 3 is enough & 4 isn't half enough

Leann ull

Yep love threads like this.
On the reducers do you need them as you want to "flood" the chugger with a 3/4 feed? This should avoid potential cavitation max your flow and avoid requirement of tap on exit.
What's the ID on that 3/4 head?

molc

Brewpi is standardised on 1/2" so think you'll need a reducer somewhere else. The camlocks are finished stainless but the rest of the fittings are the usual rough finish you get.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Sorcerers Apprentice

CH, The centre inlet Chuggers have a 3/4" inlet ( its 3/4" NPS or Garden Hose Thread) I bought the reducers to adapt them to  1/2"  fittings which will be used throughout the rest of the kit.
I'm planning on the kit running off a 32amp supply. I have a cooker supply in my kitchen which I can piggy-back out the back of the box to give me a 32 amp supply on my decking. That way I can brew outside in the fine weather or in the brew shed for the more typical Irish weather.
To be different I plan on an electrical RIMS but will reduce the voltage to the low density element to eliminate wort scorching by either using a 110 volt work transformer or a Variac if I can find one at the right price

pob

Quote from: Sorcerers Apprentice on November 15, 2015, 04:40:49 PM
To be different I plan on an electrical RIMS but will reduce the voltage to the low density element to eliminate wort scorching by either using a 110 volt work transformer or a Variac if I can find one at the right price

you'll need an ArdBir so, let it run the element on PWM - it controls heat, pumps, etc; it's great & you'll love it ;) probably same cost as Variac but does so much more for brewing.

Sorcerers Apprentice

Thanks pob, I'll have a good look at it

craiclad

How much did you pick that workbench up for? I'm in the market for something similar.

imark

The bore on the outlet of the chuggers is smaller than 1/2" anyway on my inline ones. I only spotted it recently. Don't know if the centre feed is the same?

Sorcerers Apprentice

Craiclad I paid €150 I had a local guy make up a mild steel stand for a stainless sink and it cist me €100 so I reckoned €150 was a bargain for stainless.
Imark, the centre inlet are different from the inline pumps in that the inline have two 1/2" connections but the centre inlet have a 3/4 inlet and 1/2" outlet

craiclad

Wow, €150 does seem like a steel. Any clue where I could pick up something similar?

Sorcerers Apprentice

I searched Adverts.ie with "Stainless Table"
Don't know if this one is still available, but it might suit ?
http://www.adverts.ie/6131901

Sorcerers Apprentice

Quote from: pob on November 15, 2015, 05:01:23 PM
Quote from: Sorcerers Apprentice on November 15, 2015, 04:40:49 PM

you'll need an ArdBir so, let it run the element on PWM - it controls heat, pumps, etc; it's great & you'll love it ;) probably same cost as Variac but does so much more for brewing.
Thanks POB I've ordered one this evening €99 plus €18 shipping and a fiver for the cause :-)
https://openardbir.ecwid.com/#!/Ardbir-KIT-all-in-one-board-+-otional-components/p/46976358/category=12201433

molc

I saw on Facebook that they're also giving the nano pcv as a free gift if you order atm. Maybe check to make sure you get that, as the new board has a lot more connections
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Sorcerers Apprentice

Thanks molc I've sent them an email to confirm the Nano PCB is included