• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 04:31:10 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Let the games begin

Started by Sorcerers Apprentice, November 15, 2015, 02:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorcerers Apprentice

Links to some of the goodies:
Electric 2" Tri Clover Compatible RIMS Tube Assembl w/ Heating Element Adapter, RIMS Tubes,Electric brewing Hardware
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Electric-2-Tri-Clover-Compatible-RIMS-Tube-Assembl-w-Heating-Element-Adapter-RIMS-Tubes-Electric-brewing/32443474250.html
(from AliExpress Android)
In-line Thermometer with Stainless Camlock Quick Disconnect, bi-metal thermometer, 1/2"
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/In-line-Thermometer-with-Stainless-Camlock-Quick-Disconnect-bi-metal-thermometer-1-2/1564173716.html

Stainless in-line Oxygenation Assembly, Kegging Homebrew, 2.0 Micron Oxygenation Stone, 1.2"MPT X 1/2"Barb Fittings
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Stainless-in-line-Oxygenation-Assembly-Kegging-Homebrew-2-0-Micron-Oxygenation-Stone-1-2-MPT-X/1564241492.html

Stainless Steel 304 Counterflow Wort Chiller, Brewing Equipment, Garden Hose Fittings
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Stainless-Steel-304-Counterflow-Wort-Chiller-Brewing-Equipment-Garden-Hose-Fittings/1553652140.html
Plus the usual array of Tees, valves, nipples, camlock etc
There's no such thing as bad beer - some just taste better than others

DEMPSEY

What made you go for RIMS instead of HERMS.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

imark

Quote from: Sorcerers Apprentice on December 07, 2015, 01:32:42 PM
I've checked a few and some are a bit tight but I presume will loosen up with use
If they close at all you're probably fine. Mine wouldn't close as the lip on the top of the fitting was too deep by a few mm.

Cheers for posting the links

Sorcerers Apprentice

Quote from: DEMPSEY on December 07, 2015, 02:46:31 PM
What made you go for RIMS instead of HERMS.
Brian with risk of being burnt for heresy I don't really believe all the jargon on wort scorching. My background is electrical and it seems the logical option for me.  I have a low density element 4.5kW and I can run it through a 110v transformer which will reduce the power to 1/4 ie 1.125kW which will effectively make the element ultra low density. Grainfather and Braumeister are electrical RIMS systems and I haven't read any complaints re  wort scorching. Anyway I could be proven wrong but I'll give it a shot anyway

DEMPSEY

Aah heresy is overreated unless your going to be the one getting burned :P. Just curious on your thought process that had you choose RIMS. I went for HERMS because I prefer my wort not to be touching a heat element hence my attempts (failed) to have my first element outside my boil kettle and fitted underneath the Kettle.

DEMPSEY

We Homebrewers are all close to God because he loves a tryer :-*

Sorcerers Apprentice

The accusers will all have been at the Ergot 😆

nigel_c

With all the electric breweries getting built it great to see someone going down the RIMS rout.
Looking forward to seeing how it goes.

molc

Only reason I went herms is because I needed sparge water from a hlt. Might as well have a coil in there regulating the wort temp while I'm at it. :)
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Sorcerers Apprentice

You could potentially use the RIMS tube to heat the HLT by circulating the water through it, later using it for maintaining wort temperature/step mashes and later again heating the spare water just by swapping hoses around

DEMPSEY

Quote from: Sorcerers Apprentice on December 08, 2015, 08:57:17 AM
You could potentially use the RIMS tube to heat the HLT by circulating the water through it, later using it for maintaining wort temperature/step mashes and later again heating the spare water just by swapping hoses around
Only problem I can see there is the element in the rims has wort on it so the water going into the HLT would have a small amount of wort wash into it :-\

Sorcerers Apprentice

When it comes to good brewing practices think of the Menopause - Plenty of Hot Flushes 😈. By right all lines and hoses which contained wort should be flushed out with hot water. That way there are less losses. In professional terms it's called a "push out" . In hard plumbed systems you might need sight glasses but with Silicone hoses it's easy to flush the wort to the Mash Vessel or Kettle, and stop the pump at the water/wort interface to prevent diluting the wort too much.
It's the same for Herms, by right the herms coil should be flushed out by sparging through the Herms coil. This is especially important for those guys who use an immersion chiller as a herms coil, because the immersion coil is not self draining. You could easily forget and end up with putrid wort in there at the next brew, and later wonder where the infection came from. This is an ideal source of Butyric infection. Not my favorite beer flaw, I seem to be extra sensitive to vomit flavoured beer 😷

Sorcerers Apprentice

By the same token I have a seperate element in the HLT, but in the event of a failure I could use the RIMS as back up for either the HLT or the Boil Kettle. Large Professional Kettles have an external heater called a Calandria the wort is pumped through the steam heated heat exchanger and pumped back under pressure to the underneath of an inverted cone spreader known as a China man's hat

Sorcerers Apprentice

Sorcerers Apprentice

These element covers arrived today from Bobby in Brewhardware.com I ordered them on the 12th of this month so just over a week delivery time, which is excellent. I'm going to get some 1" stainless sockets welded onto the kegs to take the elements rather than go with locknuts. I will cut the sockets to length so that the back of the thread of the element will be flush with the end of the socket, to avoid hiding places for bugs.
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/hotpod-ewl.htm