• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 05:17:02 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Let the games begin

Started by Sorcerers Apprentice, November 15, 2015, 02:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DEMPSEY

did you get hit with any duty tax's on them coming from the US.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Sorcerers Apprentice

No posted via usps rather than FedEx or DHL
There's no such thing as bad beer - some just taste better than others

Sorcerers Apprentice

December 21, 2015, 07:06:08 PM #47 Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 08:45:34 AM by Sorcerers Apprentice
It can be particularly maddening to have to pay DHL or FedEx their collection fee plus vat, in addition to the duty and vat charged on the goods, that's why where possible I always opt for the postal option rather than courier.

Sorcerers Apprentice

Quote from: pob on November 23, 2015, 09:42:29 AM
Quote from: molc on November 23, 2015, 08:34:13 AM
I cracked and just did the same. Automatic start is the feature that finally sold me. Having the hlt turn on and come to temperature before I start brewing will save a whole chunk of time on brew day.
Now to just get a box to hold everything :)
:D

I've done 3 BIAB brews with it & love it. Just need to get my pump set up next.

Only downside is, when running 2 x 2.2kW elements, house lights may flicker, as PWM switching 4.4kW on/off very quickly upsets it ???.
Did you ever sort this out? Apparently a zero crossing ssr should help eliminate the flickering as it only switches when the sine wave is at zero?

pob

Quote from: Sorcerers Apprentice on December 26, 2015, 02:06:12 PM
Did you ever sort this out? Apparently a zero crossing ssr should help eliminate the flickering as it only switches when the sine wave is at zero?

On the shopping list. I'm guessing the €3 Ali/Chinese ones may not be classed as that (or indeed of any quality)

Flickering wasn't really an issue in the shed, more so if you were using inside/in the kitchen on an older circuit (I leant it to someone to try).

Leann ull

What's a zero crossing SSR look like?

Sorcerers Apprentice

high voltage single phase solid state relay  SSR 80amp 3-32VDC to 90-480VAC Zero crossing basic type SSR/ ZG3NC-380B
http://s.aliexpress.com/uAbAZ3EV
(from AliExpress Android)

Sorcerers Apprentice

There are a number of types of ssr, random switching which operate at random points in the AC cycle. There are zero crossing ssrs which only switch on at the zero point on the sine wave they help eliminate flickering in lighting circuits near to where the ssr is located when switching large loads. Another type is peak wave switching which only switch on at the Peak voltage of the sine wave, these are used for switching inductive loads like transformers. So if I need to use a step down transformer to change the voltage to the rims element to 110 volt thus quartering the load (ie 5.5kw becomes 5.5÷4 = 1.4 kw ) then I will need to use one of these for the rims element and a zero crossing ssr for the Boil Kettle element as the Ardbir uses pulse width modulation to control the Boil rather than pid. If this makes sense?
Here's a link to info on peak wave switching ssr
http://www.ecdcontrols.com/electrical-components.1118/solid-state-relay-1-phase-peak-switching.aspx

Sorcerers Apprentice

I connected up the waste water pipe to the shed yesterday, hoping to stick the water supply in today.
The Neutrik sockets and plug tops arrived today cheers to Oz brewer for the contact
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/index.php?topic=5267.msg120315#msg120315

Sorcerers Apprentice

Just back from the hols in the States. I ordered some stainless goodies from Brewing Hardware to be delivered to my hotel, plus a spare element and Barkeepers Friend from home depot, (When I later looked at the receipt they had only charged me 1 cent for the element, they must have made a mistake inputting the price on the system ) I also bought a BCS controller and had it delivered to the hotel also. I ordered the bits online the Thursday before I arrived and they were delivered by Wednesday the following week.
The BCS controller only comes with a 110 volt power supply, I tried it on 230v in case it was dual voltage...... it wasn't. I picked up a replacement 6v DC 1amp supply in Maplins for under €20
I need to get a few bob together now and then organise the welding of the keggles and brackets/control panel onto the stainless table.

DEMPSEY

Who is doing the welding,is it the Lucan twins ;)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Sorcerers Apprentice

This guy, he knows how to hygienically weld stainless.
http://www.adverts.ie/8940661