• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 02:02:52 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

New Seasonal From Dungarvan Brewery.

Started by Greg2013, November 30, 2015, 02:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg2013

While killing some time today i wandered into Carry Out offie on the square in Dungarvan and just as i was heading out spotted this seasonal Barleywine,8.5%abv,500ml,€4.99,irish malt and kent hops( most likely ekg ?).  :o
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

molc

Love how even the dog is licking his lips :)
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Leann ull

Q picture caption comp

"2 more minutes and I'm having that  bottle"

"The only wining round here will be coming from him when I have the contents of that bottle"

Damien M

My Tongue, That Bottle, Same Colour! Just saying!

ac13

Had it there recently, first time having a Barleywine. Very, very sweet style I found. Far too sweet for me.

nigel_c

Looking forward to trying this. Note to self... Brew this years barleywine.   :)

Greg2013

Quote from: molc on November 30, 2015, 02:14:54 PM
Love how even the dog is licking his lips :)

Purely by chance i took the pic at the same time she was doing that ;D

Quote from: CH on November 30, 2015, 03:06:22 PM
Q picture caption comp

"2 more minutes and I'm having that  bottle"

"The only wining round here will be coming from him when I have the contents of that bottle"

It was funny because when she saw me taking the pic she knew it was something interesting and like a typical woman she had to know what it was. ;D

Quote from: ac13 on November 30, 2015, 04:37:49 PM
Had it there recently, first time having a Barleywine. Very, very sweet style I found. Far too sweet for me.

Initial feedback from home brewers on FB is not promising. :(
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Greg2013

IMHO over carbonated for the style(it erupted out of the bottle),underattenuated,and overly stickly artificial sweet,6/10 very disappointing. :(

armedcor

Will stay away so. The only barley wine I've had is a few bottles of Bigfoot which i really like. I've a few bottles in the "cellar" for the next few years.

Greg2013

Quote from: armedcor on December 05, 2015, 12:21:45 AM
Will stay away so. The only barley wine I've had is a few bottles of Bigfoot which i really like. I've a few bottles in the "cellar" for the next few years.

No try it anyway,this is all just my opinion,i would appreciate another constructive point of view.

The overcarbonation seems to be a thing with Dungarvan brewery bottles IMHO, i reckon i have had all of their range at this stage from the bottle,can't get fresher as i live near Dungarvan,but every beer regardless of style seems to be carbonated to the same high degree.Their beers on tap are spot on though. ;D

armedcor

I had their seaweed saison after your recommendation a while back that was lovely. These just seems a bit too expensive for the bad reviews i've seen.

Greg2013

Quote from: armedcor on December 05, 2015, 12:57:11 AM
I had their seaweed saison after your recommendation a while back that was lovely. These just seems a bit too expensive for the bad reviews i've seen.

Yes the Seaweed Saison is one of their best to date,this Barleywine is worth a punt for a fiver even if only as a once off. ;D

Jonnycheech

I was only in Dungarvan during the week. I managed to get a pint of Comeragh Challenger on Cask in Merry's. It was decent but I don't think the Challenger hops are for me, I was getting a lot of menthol which I'm not a fan of.

O Hara's Barley wine, if you see it, buy it! You will not be disappointed!
Tapped:
Fermentors:
Bottled:

DEMPSEY

Over carbonation is an issue I have had with some of their beers ok. Had it happen to me with mahon falls. I will try this barley wine to see what it's like.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Greg2013

Quote from: Johnnycheech on December 05, 2015, 08:25:07 AM
I was only in Dungarvan during the week. I managed to get a pint of Comeragh Challenger on Cask in Merry's. It was decent but I don't think the Challenger hops are for me, I was getting a lot of menthol which I'm not a fan of.

O Hara's Barley wine, if you see it, buy it! You will not be disappointed!

I have had it on cask in Merry's also Johnny and yes i agree there is quite a lot of menthol coming from it,still a decent beer one of my favourites from their lineup. I have had it from the bottle also and i don't get the menthol there though very carbonated for the style from the bottle IMHO. ;D

Quote from: DEMPSEY on December 05, 2015, 01:41:18 PM
Over carbonation is an issue I have had with some of their beers ok. Had it happen to me with mahon falls. I will try this barley wine to see what it's like.

Yes i agree,they seem to have IMHO an issue with over carbonation on most of their beers in the bottle,suits some styles they do to have very fizzy but not most tbh. The Mahon Falls was a nice drop but i found it had too much bite due to the high carbonation and i think this lets down their beer lineup a lot IMHO. ;D

Note: If their was one fault i would have with Dungarvan Brwery it would be that they need to get a handle on over carbonating their bottled beers,i have had some of their beers on cask and same beers from the bottle and the difference is like chalk and cheese in flavour and drinkability. ;D