• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 04:19:57 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Important lesson learnt

Started by Leann ull, January 05, 2016, 07:35:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leann ull

So wanted some hot water to clean out kegs and threw on my 70l boiler rcd tripped 3 mins later

Pin of the element

The element had done at least 10-12 boils before now.
I'm not sure it's because I didn't push the connector on fully and it arced or whether the element hadn't been cleaned properly underneath and went cruddy.
Connector worked perfectly on other element.

Either way
1. make sure if you are using kettle elements push on connector properly
2. Always give your elements a good scrub after use, I need to go back to the toothbrush to get underneath

Greg2013

If ya need a spare element drop by and pick it up. ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Leann ull

Cheers Greg but this is a 13amp jobbie, I wouldn't mind but just because it's a beast I didn't have a spare, 2 enroute this ave now though to match my other redundancy standards

auralabuse

I would say there was a gap and it arced, looks that way

Leann ull

2.75kw replacement arrived installed and leak tested no probs
Turned both upside down to give me more space off the bottom for better whirlpool and easier access with a toothbrush to clean into nooks and crannies

And a spare

alealex

Where did you get those elements John? They're not ss or are they? 5/4 inch thread?
Bad day brewing is better than good day working.

Leann ull

Standard thread 39mm I think
Are all kettle elements galvanised I don't know tbh I'm sure they are stainless they don't rust
If I wasn't replacing a failed unit I would drill for 3kw lwd  long version from home brew builder although you would need something else if you were boiling more than 40 like me
Having 2 elements is always handy in case 1 craps out
They came from the backer site direct in the uk don't forget the female round pin part which is on eBay for a tenner

alealex

Lwd are great job. I'm actually looking for copper element to fit 5/4 ferule welded to the tank (hard to get!)
Elements are not always s/s.
There's some reaction going between element and ss tank while boiling. First element I had lost its galvanised or chrome coating after about 20 boils.
Ss one seems much better now.
But I trust copper better.

Leann ull

I'm sure it's stainless just feels rough on bend the sister has done over 20 60 and 90 min boils now of a lot of high gravity stuff no rust and I'm sure it failed because of my negligence rather than unit

Shanna

Quote from: CH on January 23, 2016, 12:00:07 PM
Standard thread 39mm I think
Are all kettle elements galvanised I don't know tbh I'm sure they are stainless they don't rust
If I wasn't replacing a failed unit I would drill for 3kw lwd  long version from home brew builder although you would need something else if you were boiling more than 40 like me
Having 2 elements is always handy in case 1 craps out
They came from the backer site direct in the uk don't forget the female round pin part which is on eBay for a tenner
Is the site ?
http://www.backerelectric.com/products/kettle_elements.asp

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

alealex

Checked this site myself and I think this must be their site. Not much in it only heating elements and thermostats btw. At least solid elements!

molc

Managed to run both my kettles dry at the weekend through stupidity. Thankfully only lost one of the elements - the ULWD glowed but kept working after through some miracle. The high density one is toast.

Got two of these to replace: http://www.amazon.co.uk/First4Spares-Universal-Heating-Element-Connector-x/dp/B00E4L4MFA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_79_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41tRilh8ajL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1YTT9BQV8K5B8R88FVP7

Really hope they're 2.75kW - there's nothing on the page :/
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Leann ull

I'm not even going to ask
to prolong the life of the elements in the hlt I always leave them covered to avoid excessive thermal shock.

Ones with circular pins are 2.7
See also questions asked in the description.

Do you have stainless nuts for the back?

DEMPSEY

Check all valves are closed. I should have put that on a repeating timer.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

molc

Quote from: CH on April 04, 2016, 01:10:46 PM
I'm not even going to ask
Ones with circular pins are 2.7
See also questions asked in the description.

Do you have stainless nuts for the back?
Late night brew and some stupidity. Going to change process to stop it happening in the future, as I managed to empty both the BK and HLT while the elements were running.

Circular pins is a great hint - thanks!

No, I don't have any lock nuts. I've been using the plastic one that came with the THBC elements up to now and it works with judicious use of PDFE tape. Will hunt down lock nuts on ebay though for these.

Quote from: DEMPSEY on April 04, 2016, 01:13:53 PM
Check all valves are closed. I should have put that on a repeating timer.
Been there, done that. Now I have a bucket under each tap, just in case :D
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter