• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 04:32:51 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Important lesson learnt

Started by Leann ull, January 05, 2016, 07:35:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beerbuddha

I discovered this after I welded them onto my keg !  >:(
IBD Member

molc

Just arrived today and tried it out when I got home. They're a perfect fit but you'll need to box clever with the shroud as there's no thread left. Thinking a dab of superglue on the connecting lead will do it.

Even passed the wet test first time!
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Leann ull

When connecting make sure they are fully located to prevent short, also street lights will dim and guards will be sniffing through your letterbox to make sure you ain't growing something you shouldn't be

Shanna

Quote from: CH on April 11, 2016, 06:35:42 PM
When connecting make sure they are fully located to prevent short, also street lights will dim and guards will be sniffing through your letterbox to make sure you ain't growing something you shouldn't be
Did you mean earthed rather than located? If so how?

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Shanna

Quote from: molc on April 11, 2016, 06:30:37 PM
Just arrived today and tried it out when I got home. They're a perfect fit but you'll need to box clever with the shroud as there's no thread left. Thinking a dab of superglue on the connecting lead will do it.

As I thought the ss nut consumed all of the thread on the element. Did you have to put anything between the nut & the outside of the kettle?

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

molc

Quote from: Shanna on April 11, 2016, 08:55:35 PM

As I thought the ss nut consumed all of the thread on the element. Did you have to put anything between the nut & the outside of the kettle?

Shanna
Yeah it's a very big locknut. Nothing between them except ptfe tape to seal the threads. There's a silicon washer on the inside.

Shanna

Quote from: molc on April 11, 2016, 08:57:41 PM
Quote from: Shanna on April 11, 2016, 08:55:35 PM

Shanna
Yeah it's a very big locknut. Nothing between them except ptfe tape to seal the threads. There's a silicon washer on the inside.
Ah the magic of ptfe tape :) Will invest in them eventually but watching the price of sterling like a hawk. Its dropped 10p in nearly a month. If the current instability with the Brexit keeps going in a months time it will be near parity.

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

Motorbikeman

The PTFE tape would insulate the locknut from earthing the kettle surly. 

molc

I was thinking about that, but you do cut through it  when threading the nut. The PTFE fills the cracks more than anything I find.

Regardless, the keg has a primary element which has a very solid metal to metal connection running to earth, so it is always grounded when running.

Sorcerers Apprentice

I earthed my keggle using banana plugs and sockets, I looped an earth connection from each of the kettle connectors to the Banana plugs. This works for keggles as you can connect the banana socket through the skirt
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/index.php/topic,15387.0.html
There's no such thing as bad beer - some just taste better than others

Shanna

Quote from: Sorcerers Apprentice on April 13, 2016, 08:10:41 AM
I earthed my keggle using banana plugs and sockets, I looped an earth connection from each of the kettle connectors to the Banana plugs. This works for keggles as you can connect the banana socket through the skirt
In that post it looks like your splicing an earth connection off the earth from the wiring from the wiring of the element. Not sure how that would work where one is using a pee covered connector without having to cut through the preformed cabling to tap the earth.

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

molc

Quote from: Shanna on April 13, 2016, 08:47:42 PMa pee covered connector
Shanna
I think we found the source of the infection in that batch before Christmas :D

Motorbikeman

Apparently pee is sterile. 

Good to go

molc

Sorcerers Apprentice

Quote from: Shanna on April 13, 2016, 08:47:42 PM
Quote from: Sorcerers Apprentice on April 13, 2016, 08:10:41 AM
In that post it looks like your splicing an earth connection off the earth from the wiring from the wiring of the element. Not sure how that would work where one is using a pee covered connector without having to cut through the preformed cabling to tap the earth.

Shanna
From memory they may be pre assembled but the connector can be opened by removing a screw in the front face of the connector. It may be a security/anti tamper screw which needs a special screw driver though.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

There's no such thing as bad beer - some just taste better than others