• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 01:24:37 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Advise on a keggle build.

Started by Motorbikeman, January 21, 2016, 09:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hassettbrew

@motorbikeman, I bought the same elements from spares to go and returned them as were not as advertised also tried to get metal nuts from Ted Johnson for that thread no luck.

Motorbikeman

Yes .  I went to Ted's today.   He usually does have them,  but no KM8 nuts in stock.

Need 4 of them now  so this lad on ebay via parcel motel should get me sorted.   
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161085394175

I was going to return those 1500 elements.  But they will be perfect for a HLT as together they pull 3000w and can be wired to run on one circuit without overloading. 
The 2 bigger 2700 should be here on Monday. 

Still have to figure a way of  neatly earthing them also

Incidentally.  The plastic shroud nuts that came with the elements tighten up nicely on home made silicone washers.  I have no leaks with them.

I can't seem to stop a very little leak from my new mash tun .  I got the fitting from HBC  .    Have I got it on right? 

hassettbrew

I am curious how well the plastic nut works and how do you plan to earth

Shanna

Quote from: Motorbikeman on February 05, 2016, 06:03:44 PM
I can't seem to stop a very little leak from my new mash tun .  I got the fitting from HBC  .    Have I got it on right? 
Remove everything and try wrapping a few winds of ptfe tape around the nipple thread. Hopefully that will give you a better seal. Otherwise you could try this stuff

http://www.fernox.com/products/traditional+plumbing+products/jointing+compounds/ls-x+external+leak+sealer

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Leann ull

I bought the cheap ones years ago they rusted, Kevin in Roundwood will post his link to stainless ones

Leann ull

Quote from: hassettbrew on February 05, 2016, 06:22:24 PM
I am curious how well the plastic nut works and how do you plan to earth

Metal nuts direct contact to keg, plastic nuts need a separate earth

Motorbikeman

Jeepers I need 4 !!     

Might just but the steel ones and spray them with HT paint. 

Motorbikeman

HLT started with a future plan of using temp control with my two 1500 w  elements. Just going to get it going for now though.   Plan to bottom drain this one with brass and coppers as its only for warm water.  Maybe timber feet to get  clearance.   

Just to be clear and all. If I use a steel nut with no washer for the elements, the kegs are safe with regards earthing?   

Tis very satisfying trying to clean up kegs ..  Strange.    All getting neatly wrapped after sight glasses fitted.       

Motorbikeman

Bottom drained the HLT   and welded a bracket on.     Finished now. 

molc

Love the bottom drains. I'm doing it with a center drain in my own rig, as I didn't want to make feet for the kegs, but ti's the way to go for cleaning.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

rje66

Looks great, just wondering where do i source a temp gauge like the one youve fitted ??
Wife says to me one day... "so do you love beer more than me?....
Naturally, I replied,...... making it or drinking it??😱😱
www.gardenconcepts.ie

Motorbikeman

February 15, 2016, 07:25:06 PM #43 Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 07:35:49 PM by Motorbikeman
I got this one.   It works well.  A bit hard to read  if the keg is on the ground.  .  Was in my PM locker in 2 days from ordering.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171928429780?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Im done with Ali-express.   The wait for bits and bobs is ridiculous.   Still waiting on step drills for this project, thats now finished. 

Ye could swim to Asia quicker..

Leann ull

aliexpress and ebay hk are deffo ones you buy and get pleasantly surprised about in 4-6 weeks when it arrives.
If you need stuff in a hurry shop local it will cost you 20-50% more for same item tho :(