• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 16, 2024, 09:03:12 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Lidl 'Crafty Brewing co' beers

Started by LordEoin, February 29, 2016, 07:57:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LordEoin

I have to say that these are super quality at a good price (around 1.80, 2.50 for the IPA) for the new 500ml bottles.
The lager is just like tom creens (keg version), stout and red are tasty, pale ale is fresh and hoppy.
The IPA's been sold out since it was introduced.

I love them, which is weird as I don't like the McGargle beers at all and they're all from the same place, no?

Drum

Yep they're from Rye river same as mcgargles.

I got the last bottle of the ipa in lidl in bandon, its been out of stock since.  I was pleasantly surprised by it, reminded me of the Oharas galaxy hop adventure. Similar flavour just not quite as much of a hoppy punch as the Oharas. The bottle said it was a single hop with vic secret if i remember correctly. I'll buy it again if it ever comes back in stock.

dcalnan

plus the labels leave no residue behind, so good for reusing. I'm not a fan of the stout it lacks body, and I haven't been able to find the ipa yet.

BrewDorg

Agree about the stout and the red ale is the same. But the pale ale and the IPA are both absolutely savage beers. The pale ale is only new so might not be everywhere yet.

Drzava

I thought the pale ale was absolute crap - very little hop aroma. Not a patch on Aldi's Amber Ale.

cruiscinlan

Quote from: Drzava on March 10, 2016, 09:28:34 AM
I thought the pale ale was absolute crap - very little hop aroma. Not a patch on Aldi's Amber Ale.

Really?  I tried it and thought it was nice enough, no hop bomb, but easy drinking.  I thought the lager was great as well.

LordEoin

I wasn't impressed by that 'dry hopped' amber ale at all tbh

BrewDorg

We couldn't be talking about the same pale ale! This one has a great hop aroma and flavour.

DCLavs

Love stout...didn't like this one.

Must get a run to Buncrana for some IPA and PA :)

Drzava

Quote from: BrewDorg on March 10, 2016, 01:22:56 PM

We couldn't be talking about the same pale ale! This one has a great hop aroma and flavour.
Purple label? Crap I thought (I didn't even finish it - now THAT rarely happens!) - I was surprised given the good reviews.

LordEoin

I think you've all been spoiled with creamy headed nonsense stout!  ;D

Qs

I grabbed the IPA the other day, surprisingly good. Very easy drinking, not much body but a nice hop flavour and aroma. Can't complain at €2.50 for 500ml.

cruiscinlan

Quote from: Qs on March 15, 2016, 03:03:51 PM
Can't complain at €2.50 for 500ml.

Well you can, it's just I'll probably be the only one who'll listen!

Qs

Have to withdraw my endorsement. Having bought it again since I've found these beers to be incredibly inconsistent.

Daveyg23

I have just tried their IPA, Amber Ale and Red Ale for the first time.  The Red Ale does lack body and has a slightly chocolate taste that you would expect in a porter not a red.

The IPA and Amber were both good, well crafted beers, cant complain for the price, will buy more of these - hopefully they are consistent