• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 21, 2024, 08:39:26 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Capital Brewer's Indian Summer Beer Competition

Started by Hingo, June 11, 2016, 01:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishjam45 (Colin)

Would 21B. be accepting New English IPA'S as entries?
Garden County Brewers

https://gcbrewers.wordpress.com/

Pheeel

Quote from: fishjam45 on June 16, 2016, 10:54:51 PM
Would 21B. be accepting New English IPA'S as entries?

Just out of interest what would you count as a new English IPA?
Issues with your membership? PM me!

GlasbrewInc

Think he means "New England" ipa's northeast coast states of the USA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishjam45 (Colin)

Sorry, damn autocorrect on my phone. ;)
I meant New England IPA.
Garden County Brewers

Pheeel

June 17, 2016, 01:59:14 PM #19 Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 03:06:17 PM by Pheeel
Ahh that makes more sense. Cloudy IPA's however are a different story....  :P
Issues with your membership? PM me!

garciaBernal

If an IPA had a large fruit addition in what category would it end up? Or is it a fruit beer and belongs in 29A? And are Brett IPA's allowed? How about kettle soured IPA's?!
"If you do not enjoy my beer, then I say it is a pity for you!" Armand DeBelder-Drie Fonteinen

GlasbrewInc

21b me thinks! But let's see what Dave says

fishjam45 (Colin)

Garden County Brewers

Hingo

Yep, this is what Speciality IPA category was made for, not so much experimental beers but beers that fit the general theme of IPAs

From the horse's mouth
Specialty IPA isn't a distinct style, but is more appropriately thought of as a competition entry category. Beers entered as this style are not experimental beers; they are a collection of currently produced types of beer that may or may not have any market longevity. This category also allows for expansion, so potential future IPA variants (St. Patrick's Day Green IPA, Romulan Blue IPA, Zima Clear IPA, etc.) have a place to be entered without redoing the style guidelines. The only common element is that they have the balance and overall impression of an IPA (typically, an American IPA) but with some minor tweak.The term 'IPA' is used as a singular descriptor of a type of hoppy, bitter beer. It is not meant to be spelled out as 'India Pale Ale' when used in the context of a Specialty IPA. None of these beers ever historically went to India, and many aren't pale. But the craft beer market knows what to expect in balance when a beer is described as an 'IPA' – so the modifiers used to differentiate them are based on that concept alone.

fishjam45 (Colin)

Garden County Brewers

Hingo

Quote from: Pheeel on June 17, 2016, 01:59:14 PM
Ahh that makes more sense. Cloudy IPA's however are a different story....  :P

Even if you entered it under a traditional style, if the aroma, mouth-feel and taste line up, and you get a decent overall impression  max you'll lose for appearance is 3 points.

Hingo

Quote from: garciaBernal on June 17, 2016, 02:06:08 PM
If an IPA had a large fruit addition in what category would it end up? Or is it a fruit beer and belongs in 29A? And are Brett IPA's allowed? How about kettle soured IPA's?!
Good question.

the Fruit IPA may be more suited to 29A alright as if you're using a "large fruit addition" not sure if that counts as a minor tweak as per the brief for 21B. EG: If you had made a White IPA with lemon zest or an American IPA with Grapefruit peels (EG Elvis juice) you'd be grand.

Brett/ Kettle Sour IPA might be a grey area, the Brett & Mixed Fermentation (28 A&B) seem to suit this a bit more as they refer to Variable by base style in the briefs for those. While one might challenge that these could be seen as minor tweaks to an IPA recipe (EG subbing out Sacch for Brett in a typical IPA recipe), the beer taste/aroma/mouthfeel itself would probably change significantly enough, I would be inclined to say they would not be suitable for 21B as they would be more suited to the Brett and Sour categories..

Might be worth getting some input from the other BJCP lads, so let me comeback to you.

Hingo

Quote from: Hingo on June 17, 2016, 05:00:05 PM
Quote from: garciaBernal on June 17, 2016, 02:06:08 PM
Good question.

the Fruit IPA may be more suited to 29A alright as if you're using a "large fruit addition" not sure if that counts as a minor tweak as per the brief for 21B. EG: If you had made a White IPA with lemon zest or an American IPA with Grapefruit peels (EG Elvis juice) you'd be grand.

Brett/ Kettle Sour IPA might be a grey area, the Brett & Mixed Fermentation (28 A&B) seem to suit this a bit more as they refer to Variable by base style in the briefs for those. While one might challenge that these could be seen as minor tweaks to an IPA recipe (EG subbing out Sacch for Brett in a typical IPA recipe), the beer taste/aroma/mouthfeel itself would probably change significantly enough, I would be inclined to say they would not be suitable for 21B as they would be more suited to the Brett and Sour categories..

Might be worth getting some input from the other BJCP lads, so let me comeback to you.

Ok forget I said all that.

If it's an IPA and has fruit, Brett, is a  kettle sour or anything for that matter bang it in to 21b.

Key requirement is it has the balance and overall impression of an IPA. After that it's up to the entrant to use their own diligence to judge if their beer meets this requirement.

This will be an interesting category!

molc

If you were picking a category for Brett and sour Ipa, you'd probably go for American wild (cat 28) usually. Fruit additions that fit into the classical tropical fruit flavours would probably go into the standard ipa categories, whereas the others would be speciality ipa with a twist.

The key is the direction given to the judges really. If we're told to treat 21B as a free for all and also told the expected characteristics, well judge it to those standards. The style guides and how they apply to a competition are entirely upto the discretion of the competition organisers.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Leann ull

Please though only state ingredients that you or preferably a mate can taste in a beer that you enter, nothing more frustrating when there is a big long descriptive and none of them are there or 2 of the 5!
You may have put them in there but if they are not obvious don't state and just let them add to the mystique.