• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 09:48:41 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Using N2O For Stout

Started by rukkus, December 10, 2012, 10:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rukkus

I have a fully carbonated stout in a corny and a stout tap all hooked up. The stout tap is already an improvement. I have just ordered one of those keg chargers you can put co2 bulbs into. I'm thinking of purging the headspace in the keg a bit and topping up with N2O (the bulbs used in cream whippers) and using this to dispense. I know its not the same as mixed beer gas but I'm curious if the nitrogen will produce a similar pour to beer gas and the whipper bulbs are fairly cheap for a box and easy to buy.

Has anyone tried this already, if so how did it turn out?

Cathal O D

I tried that but it didnt seem to work. I think it just fills the head space and forces the carbed beer out.

rukkus

What kind of pressure did you use? I here that the pressure needs to be much higher when using nitrogen.

Spud395

With nitro stout rather than carbing the beer they nitrogenate it, the reason for using the 70/30 mix to push it is to stop the co2 carbonating the beer as it disolves into solution much easier than nitrogen.

I cant see those little bulbs having any effect on a keg full of carbonated beer, other than pushing it out

Non modo......sed etiam

DEMPSEY

That would be a brilliant gas to have in a pub. I would love to see that. ;D ;D. What's in my mouth ;D ;D
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

newToBrew

so......
QuoteWith nitro stout rather than carbing the beer they nitrogenate it,
IF you were force carbing a keg - could you swop out the co2 for the nitro in the middle of it, then serve with the C02  - would that work ??

QuoteN2O is Nitrous Oxide, aka laughing gas.

following on from the first thought - would this give you a laughing stout ???
coz theres always something new to do

JimmyM

One of the Cork lads - cant remember whether it was Taf or wallacebiy did this successfully using a king keg.
Had ideas of adding one of the bulb holders to the lid of a corny but havent got round to it.
Formerly JamesM.

rukkus

I've just popped in 4 bulbs without purging the keg. It is creamer (maybe due to the higher pressure) but i'm not quite getting the same surge yet. Maybe the ratio of N2O to CO2 needs to be higher.

I realise N2O is not the same as mixed beer gas, i would think though as it is the nitrogen that contributes along with the restricter plate that if the correct pressure is applied it should cause a similar result.

Stitch

The problem with Nitrogen is getting it to dissolve in solution. Guinness does this AFAIK under high pressure in their kegs. It is then served using mixed gas (70/30).

The widget in the can, again AFAIK, is a plastic ball full of pressurised Nitrogen. When the can is opened this ball pops and flies around the can releasing nitrogen quickly. As Nitrogen is heavier than air this will not leave the can but will come out of solution quickly.

Simply pushing the out with nitrogen I don't think will give that creamy head.

I am open to correction on the above :-/

rukkus

I've thrown in a few more bulbs and the pour is getting better and better

Will_D

Lets be perfectly clear:

Guiness is dispensed using a 25% CO2 and 75% N2 mix.
Thats it!! Fact! its no other ratio!!

The gas is sold by BOC under the Suremix brand/logo

Lagers and the rest are dispensed on a 50/50 mix.

Source for the above: BOC pub gases.

For more info on BOC see the Wiki.

Nitrous Oxide aka. Laughing gas, is not what you want in beer. Its allowed as a food grade additive to aerosol wipped cream.

Reason: N20 disolves in lipids (ie. the Fats in cream ) and when you open the can it foams up. Solubility in water (or weak alcohol solutions ie. 5% beer is marginal)

BTW: If anyone offers you the dislexic's version of N2O the its NO2 ( the brown gas, nasty toxic stuff ) then run a mile

[/chemistrylessonoff]

Will
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

DEMPSEY

QuoteI have a fully carbonated stout in a corny and a stout tap all hooked up. The stout tap is already an improvement. I have just ordered one of those keg chargers you can put co2 bulbs into. I'm thinking of purging the headspace in the keg a bit and topping up with N2O (the bulbs used in cream whippers) and using this to dispense. I know its not the same as mixed beer gas but I'm curious if the nitrogen will produce a similar pour to beer gas and the whipper bulbs are fairly cheap for a box and easy to buy.

Has anyone tried this already, if so how did it turn out?
To recap what the original post asked,he is aware that the gas N2O is used for whipping cream,like all good curious homebrewers, he is asking can this work on producing nitro stout,or are there any alternatives. :)   

Will_D

December 12, 2012, 11:05:18 AM #12 Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 11:07:22 AM by Will_D
See the equipment wiki re the BOC rentals. Its really not that expensive to use the real stuff!

http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.com/brew-wiki/

Link thro' to the storage and dispense page!

BTW: Why can't we link to the specific page in the wiki as oppsed to the top level link above.

Will
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Spud395

The fact of the matter though is even using stout mix you will still have carbonated beer where pub nitro is nitrogenated.

Not saying it's bad, just not the very same
Non modo......sed etiam

DEMPSEY

Cathalbrua is on the case,and will be writing a wiki about his results,he just does not know this yet. :)