• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 07:41:31 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

The Bulldog Brewer

Started by Motorbikeman, September 18, 2016, 12:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leann ull

Is there space in the skirt to fit a regulator for the boil as that or a pid would be a great improvement to regulate the boil

johnrm

For anyone using Beersmith - BIAB profile is recommended for Braumeister - not a million miles away.

Motorbikeman

i might take the plunge and book one for christmas. Thanks for the info.  Keep it coming..

dcalnan

At points I wonder why I didn't just buy one of these instead of the money I'm putting into a three vessel design.  :( I keep saying to myself it will be worth it.

Slev

Quote from: dcalnan on September 19, 2016, 04:24:10 PM
At points I wonder why I didn't just buy one of these instead of the money I'm putting into a three vessel design.  :( I keep saying to myself it will be worth it.

Something similar.  Was just after taking delivery of a ss element,  drill bits,  pid, SSR, probe etc for a build when the V1 was unveiled by hbw for nearly the same money as I spent just getting the bits and bobs. 
But at least I'll have some comfort in the fact,  that if the temp overshoots for the strike temp,  or a leak developes,  I would know that I f'ed it up.  And it will bring me some degree of annoyance,  to know that I could have avoided all the hassle!

And seems like a good idea of CH's to wire in a ssr (perhaps a variable voltage ssr,  which can be controlled with a simple potentiometer)  in series with the larger element to control the boil.  -  would be nearly worth getting one to try! ( in that case-Anyone for a hardly used 3kw ss element,  pid,  pt100 probe etc ?)

SkiBeagle

There is plenty of room in the skirt - from memory, I'd say 10cm or more. And the power lines are wired with quick disconnects, so very easy to intercept or add another circuit. Was thinking along the same lines. Could put an SSR on the 1800W element and use that with a PID/Pi/ArdBir to precisely control the boil. I'll be looking at the boil vigour more closely next brew to see whether it is really necessary. I'd like a bit more than the 700W and a lot less than the 1800W. Goldilocks would understand! A jacket might work with 700W. I'll try that next.

darren996

One of the lads in the brew club got a v1, he hasn't brewed his first solo batch yet but when he does it will be an easy straight to all grain brew for him. No messin with orings and Ptfe tape, questionable electrics etc.  I got to see his and it is a great piece of kit, and it's not too far off a grainfather.  If I hadn't built my own I would definitely buy this.

Damofto

Quote from: irish_goat on September 19, 2016, 10:41:20 AM
They sound like a great piece of kit. Anyone fancy doing up a review with pictures for the front page?
I might be able to do a brew on Sunday if so I will take pics and do a bit of a review, how do we do it, just Microsoft Word or something?

auralabuse

Hmmm, I have an ardbir sitting in a press, was ready for a "project". Also got a few ssr's. I will watch this thread with interest to see if they can be integrated for a bit more automation

darren996

Quote from: auralabuse on September 19, 2016, 09:16:34 PM
Hmmm, I have an ardbir sitting in a press, was ready for a "project". Also got a few ssr's. I will watch this thread with interest to see if they can be integrated for a bit more automation
This would work perfectly with an ardbir or craftbeerpi.

auralabuse

Damn you Darren, and here was I thinking I'm finished tinkering around with shit

darren996

Quote from: auralabuse on September 20, 2016, 04:26:51 PM
Damn you Darren, and here was I thinking I'm finished tinkering around with shit
You're never finishedit's the hobby that keeps on given

Motorbikeman

Has anyone got any real life pics or vids yet?

Any quality issues they would like to share?

Can a jacket be purchased?

Thanks.  Ken

Damofto

I didn't get a chance to brew with it over the last couple of weeks but I am planning to do so this weekend, i will take plenty of pics if I do.  I think I have it dialled in on Beersmith now as well, the next brewday will tell.

I haven't seen any jackets for them but I would buy one if they were available, it does take 10 or 15 minutes for the mash temp to stabilise. I'm thinking of making one from an old camping mat to see if it makes any difference.

No quality issues to report whatsoever.

Motorbikeman

they look a similar diameter to a grainfather.  Maybe that jacket would fit.