• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 10:14:50 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

The Bulldog Brewer

Started by Motorbikeman, September 18, 2016, 12:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damofto

I had considered that allright but it looks like there are sections cut out of it for the control panel and maybe some of the other fittings as well so it wouldn't be perfect. A homemade jobbie might be just as good.

Will_D

Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Damofto

Thanks very much Will, I'm not sure when I'd be out your neck of the woods though.

That job looks fantastic, what material did you use and did it make much of a difference with your mashing/boiling? The Bulldog should be quite straightforward to do with just the handles and tap to worry about.

Will_D

There are 3 layers of the 2mm aluminised radiator foam under the SS outer wrapper.

Big difference to times etc. Whereas a boiling GF outside SS temp is like 100C+ my system is more like 35C.

Much safer and more energy efficient.

Oh BTW don't ever put the glass lid on  a GF (even if not insulated) when doing the boil.

Damofto

Brilliant Thanks Will, I will look into doing something similar.

Will_D

There are 3 layers of the 2mm aluminised radiator foam under the SS outer wrapper.

Big difference to times etc. Whereas a boiling GF outside SS temp is like 100C+ my system is more like 35C.

Much safer and more energy efficient.

Oh BTW don't ever put the glass lid on  a GF (even if not insulated) when doing the boil.

Damofto

October 05, 2016, 08:29:57 PM #36 Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 02:20:05 PM by Damofto
A few guys have been asking about a Beersmith profile for the Bulldog, below is what I have come up with after 4 brews.

You can add a new equipment profile by going to Profiles then equipment.

My batch size is 23 litres and I have set the brewhouse efficiency at 80% which gives a mash efficiency of around 88%. I boil on the 1800w setting so the boiloff rate is calculated based on that

The next thing I changed was the mash profile, and I'm using the Temperature mash, 1 step.  Again these can by accessed by going to profiles the Mash Profiles, you will see that there are 3 profiles; Full, Light & Medium body.  There are also 2 step but I'm not sure when you would use those.  Below is my Medium body profile

I changed the water to grain ratio on each of these to 3.80l/kg, you can do this by double clicking on the Saccharification line which will bring up another screen.

I think that's everything, hopefully it will help to get some of you started anyway.

auralabuse

I think that's everything, hopefully it will help to get some of you started anyway.
[/quote]
Fair play to ya

TonyC

Thanks. Nice job

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

BrewDorg

Is the boiloff really 4L p/h?! On my own similar sized system, my 2.5kW element @ 75% will boil off around 2L p/h. I wonder why it's so much more on the Bulldog.

Dr Brown Ale

thanks for those settings.

Damofto

Quote from: Beechlawn Brewing on October 06, 2016, 02:31:57 PM
thanks for those settings.
No problem, let me know if you think anything is wrong, I'm no pro on Beersmith or anything.

Damofto

Quote from: BrewDorg on October 05, 2016, 11:45:18 PM
Is the boiloff really 4L p/h?! On my own similar sized system, my 2.5kW element @ 75% will boil off around 2L p/h. I wonder why it's so much more on the Bulldog.

I think so, that was my estimate before my last brew and I was very close with my target volume and gravities.  It is quite a vigorous boil even at 1800w, more experimentation is needed though. I just installed the 20L Braumeister profile there for a look and boil off is set at 4.260 l p/h, my old 3kw Burco type boiler used to boil off around 5 litres as well.

Will_D

Whoever made that video:

Loose the "music" and maybe add a commentary!