• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 10:26:13 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Smartpid smart temp controller

Started by Oh Crap, September 24, 2016, 12:21:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leann ull

Davide we just need a price now and where to send the money

arzaman

Quote from: CH on October 16, 2016, 01:32:42 PM
Davide we just need a price now and where to send the money

Your kind sentence is ther reason why I'm working night and day to move to manufacturring and mass production in a shorter time possible
fully comminted to deliver you soon the product at best price possible

stay tuned

Davide

arzaman

During this month after launching we have collected lot of feedback and also questions either technical and commercial.
We have collected in the FAQ section on the web site, have a look for any doubt on the project !

http://smartpid.com/faq/

arzaman

arzaman

SmartPID is not a simple controller or thermostat, is more an "open platform" powerful and flexible where the resources and I/O can be used for different applications, different environments and integration. My idea is to develop an ecosystem of "vertical" applications on top of a common set of features

the first two applications developed for homebrewer  are

smart thermostat (or basic application) that is the base line for any thermal regulated process . Can be used and adapted where it's need a PID control or  perform a retrofit o simple thermostat with something more advanced. Typical example is fermentation chamber

Smart homebrewing app that is focused on all brewing process automation from mashing to boiling from hop addition to whirlpool and cooling including recipe management

anything you would like to see on top of SmartPID??

darren996

Yeah, price and sale date, thanks Davide

Leann ull

I asked already on your YouTube site about a four pot system, so hlt, mash tun, Herms pot, boiler. 3 power sources to control, 3 temperature probes. I think that is outside capability of your device?

arzaman

Sorry I see now your question on Youtube...to many channel to monitor :-)

Each smartPID box is dual channel so you can control two processes and two heating (cooling) elements. Not very clear to me what you would like to control ...you mention 4 vessels (hlt, mash tun, Herms pot, boiler) and you need 3 control point

I would say that with current smart homebrewing application is not feasible but maybe if you explain the process I can elaborate a more precise design and integration

below a schema for a "standard" integration

arzaman

Leann ull

Hi Davide, I want to control 2 elements in HLT, 2 elements in boiler, pump, 3 temp probes (mash, hlt, boiler) and I know your unit can do that but I also have an element for separate Herms pot, thanks.

arzaman

Working to a plug-n-play and easy retrofit solution to upgrade original grinfather  controller with Smartpid and need some suggestions and ideas from GF community

The idea is to keep the original case and switches, just removing STC200 and rewiring Smartpid in order to get full process automation, recipe management, wifi data log, OLED graphical display, USB, etcetc.. and basically there a two options

1) connect heating element to relay 1 , connect pump to relay 2 in parallel to switch, connect temperature probe to one of the two control channel. Just two wires for pump and a screw driver !

You can benefit all the smart PID automation feature (including pump cycle automation) but the temperature control during step mash will be performed ON/OFF (with hysteresis) since is not advisable to use PID /PWM algorithm with mechanical relay output
Also during boil you lose the nice feature to control power via PWM 0-100%

2) insert in the case a solid state relay (10A minimum) to control heating elements, pump control and temperature probe as option 1

Little bit of extra work and a need of suitable SSR with heat sink to fit in the small spare space inside the case but you can benefit full PID + PWM solution either in mashing or in boiling

there is also a 3rd option more invasive that need to work on the base of GF separating 2 heating element now in series in order to control them separately (500W by PID during mashing, 1500 W by relay during mash in/out and boil)

what option do you prefer ? Any other suggestion ?

arzaman

darren996

Hi Davide, unless the cost of smart pid is considerably less than the new grainfather controller I wouldn't spend time on a working on a retrofit solution.  Great idea if the price was right

arzaman

Happy to announce that next week smartPID will go live on kickstarter
Thank you for your patience,thank you for support and suggestions,thank you in advance for your contribution to bring smartpid to life

stay tuned
arzaman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMgzq0XVB_4

arzaman

Breaking news and great day for the project !!
I'm happy to inform you in advance that the crowdfunding campaign is started and SmartPID is finally live on INDIEGOGO

https://igg.me/at/smartpid/x

I see already some pledge from IE and traffic from the forum and your community and thanks to all early adopter and backers but now the most important think is to spread the news to reach the maximum number of people.
I have chosen the hard way "all or nothing" to reach a certain volume and MoQ to keep production cost and consequently price affordable and next days I will start some mkt campaign but the success of the campaign depends greatly on you and the world of mouth is the key..I kindly ask you to engage your homebrewing, DIY enthusiasts, makers friends an let them know about the campaing
sure of your support I will update regularly

br Davide
arzaman engineering

Slev

December 09, 2016, 09:09:23 AM #27 Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 09:21:53 AM by Slev
Best of luck with the launch . I think it is a good idea,  and know it can be very difficult to get good ideas off the ground.  Am happy to support,  and hope this is the start of good things for you and your business.

Ps... 
Have pledged,  but was a bit put off by the shipping cost.  Would have been happier with a higher product cost  up front with a less steep shipping cost.)

arzaman

Thank you for your kind words !
I really need your support...I do my best working hard  to bring project at that point...now it depends on community support

stay tuned
Davide

pob

+1 Best of luck Davide.

Looks great, following your project with interest.