• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 09:50:09 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Smartpid smart temp controller

Started by Oh Crap, September 24, 2016, 12:21:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arzaman

thank you johnrm ,to all commuinty and bakers for the support and to all bakers

I'm doing some analysis on the reason why and evaluate impact on the project.
As you know most part of the development has been done and I move even further starting a small batch production at my risk and investment founding also great part of fixed costs

So , assuming that there is still a demand for such a smart device, I don't want to waste all this effort and investments,  I try to review the roadmap, scale doown the project and sit down with the manufacturer to understand how we can produce the object below di minimum order quantity

next step is to distribute the first 50 smartPID to the selected beta tester and if still interested to bakers starting from super early bird .
This I think will boost the project since finally smartPID exit my laboratory and few passionate and supportive people can start play with it

Any feedback from the community is important and I  will update you soon on the new strategy

thank you again, stay tuned
Davide

arzaman

Since I got few questions I would like to provide you an update of the project after the strategy review post indiegogo campaign.

I can confirm you that finally I have distributed 12 SmartPID to selected beta tester, it's an important milestone since after one year of work smartpid leave my laboratory and someone start really playing with it and provide real feedback.

I'm collecting the first feedback on all possible areas..from buy experience to fulfillment..from general look and feel to user experience ..from smartphone app to core features.

The overall feedback generally speaking is positive and I got really lot of valuable inputs either on fixing some problems (mainly in the smartphone app) or review and enhance some parts.

Here some unboxing and first integrations ..Lot of discussion and interaction (an lot of work)  !

In parallel the development proceeds on many different streams

I have released first version of the installation and configuration manual that provides all details to connect and configure smartPID (wifi config, thingspeak config,  Arduino IDE config and sketch compilation , FW upgrade and so on). You can download form the github page

A new SW release is now available either for the homebrewing app and smart thermostat adding two main content: Fahrenheit support and probe calibration support
In the short term roadmap some important enhancements are already palnned: delayed start for fridge (smart thermostat) and PID autotuning beta, should be interesting experiment autotuning algorithm  in your setup

As promised I have made smartPID open source and I  have also completed the github area with all source code,libraries, schema, driver etc.. so anyone that will enjoy programming and hacking smartPID can do !   Please remember that all material is subject to GNU V3 open source license

https://github.com/arzaman/smartPID

I have prepared also the website for adding a wiki section and a forum section. Hopefully I will release in live in the week end. This will allow better project documentation and interaction with all end user

The very good news is that end next week I should receive the front panel that is the last missing part so I'm potentially ready to provide to you the long waited smartpid (more or less in line with indiegogo campaing schedule)

My plan is to collect other feedback from beta tester up to end of February , fix major issue and than distribute the remaining  50 boards (with precedence to backers) and increase the community.. so stay tuned !

Davide

arzaman

Quick update on the project with special focus on new feature and enhancements of application SW
Delay Fridge start and PID auto tuning has been released and I have also added the configuration support for different beta coefficient for NTC sensors plus other minor changes coming from the beta tester

I have also tested extensively the auto tune with my test equipment and even if I'm not a fan of the auto tuning process it can help you to find an initial set up that maybe you can adjust by experience

Now working to the final version of the smart thermostat app adding the ramp/soak management for the fermentation chamber
I have also released the first official version of the android smartphone app on google play store, off course to use it you need the SmartPID controller (and the thingspeak account)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fred.com.smartpid

The beta testing phase has been completed and lot of feedback received, I have now extended the community with a limited offer to former Indiegogo backer but I'm ready to open the store to all of you with a limited stock of controller

It's a matter of days, stay tuned !
Davide
Arzaman engineering

arzaman

Long time since last post and lot of things happens !
Many homebrewers adopted SmartPID controller and I got lot of feedback that allow me to enhance and improve either HW and SW
Before summer break (at least in north hemisphere it's summer time !) just few update on the project

Still working on the improvement of the overall quality of the engineering of smartPID and from next batch I'm happy to announce that the front panel has been replaced with a new one.
Not just a graphical and aesthetic review but a different solution. The tactile switch are now internal and on top of the panel a flexible membrane allow to press it.

This provide a very good feeling in operating in smartPID but more important good protection of the inside from splash or particles. Little details but improved in quality and reliability

Biggest news are SW side. As you may have seen the focus on the development now is on the BBQ controller application, with support of few professional pit master now the application is almost complete. Very powerful, feature reach and flexible...I will follow up on this topic and I will start a beta testing campaign after summer break ..stay tuned

The BBQ app give me the chance to talk about another big change in the SW architecture and evolution of SmartPID ecosystem.  You know that one of the SmartPID smartest feature is the capability to remote monitor and control your device and process. Currently the smartphone app is available for android only and is based on the public service provided by Thingspeak.

In the BBQ solution I have tested a new technology to implement the remote control and the results are really good and promising

The new technology is based on MQTT subscribe and notify protocol that is becoming a standard for the IoT connected devices and allow me to mange a private server where to develop advanced services
From technical perspective allow me to solve lot of the annoying things to make a device connected via WiFi home router like the dynamic IP address of firewall traversal.

From your end user perspective the initial set up user experience will be simplified, the new app will be very responsive and with possibility to implement also commands and actions.
And finally the technology allow me to implement either native android smartphone app but also web application that you can use in any browser....fixed or mobile..so including tablet or IOS devices.

Have a look to this video that is quite  explanatory!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHTCkl64AQE

In autumn I will retrofit also the smartphone app for hombrewing and smart thermostat and finally implement what you request so many times:  full brew day and process remote controls (not only monitors) with full interactions and all the parameters remote control including recipe management

Finally I'm working to other two applications: a complete process controller for malting barley with a micro-malthouse and a spirit distiller controller. Still in a design and concept stage but progressing !

If you are interested there are really few smartPID pieces in the store still at the launch price, next stock available in August

Have a nice holiday and talk to you after summer break with other news and progress !

arzaman

As usual I'm happy to share with you some news about the project but since Xmas time is approaching I have activated a special promo offer on the online store, For limited time period you can get for free

-SSR 40 A  24-380V AC with smartPID  smart hombrewing app
Or
-Thermocouple K-type adapter with smartPID smart thermostat 

Few pieces of the all in one klarstein mash tun retrofit kit are still available

don't miss out !
http://smartpid.com/store

coming back to project status update

Smart thermostat K-type support now available, the new SW release can be downloaded  in the wiki section of the web site. For upgrade procedure of your smartPID follow instruction on installation and configuration manual

http://smartpid.com/wiki-page/

Also the external adapter for the K-type probe connection is now available as optional in the store (free during Xmas promo)

The other big step forward is related to the remote control management, I'm working to a complete re-design of that part introducing a more interactive, user friendly and powerful technology that allow also integration with third party application.

The first application that have been updated is the smart thermostat, the retrofit is now complete and we are testing the android smartphone app that will make the smart thermostat a really smart and unique product ! Here some screenshot preview

Smart Homebrewing application will follow in January and brew day monitor, automation and recipe management will be something really amazing !

I take the opportunity to wish you a happy and peaceful Christmas and I will come back to you next years with lot of smart and exciting project and news

Br
Davide

arzaman

Hi smarPID firends !

Long time since my last post but smartpid project continue to evolve and progress with new product and new features mainly coming from your suggestions !

Just a summary of most important news

SmartPID CUBE

After almost one year of design, development and tests I'm very proud to announce that the new SmartPID CUBE hardware is now available and you can select it on the online store.

http://smartpid.com/store

The smartPID cube is a complete re-engineering of the previous HW in a new form factor that is very fancy either to keep on a desktop or to wall mount (ie with a DIN rail support).

From SW and functional point of view is 100% smartPID so all current smart homebrewing and smart thermostat (BBQ will come later) applications runs   seamlessly on the new HW.

Main difference are 
+ bigger 1.5" OLED display
+ SD card adapter with process data logging
+ 12V external power supply (available optionally)

bottom line is a smartest PID ever that allow you to control everything anywhere 

Smart Homebrewing new remote control architecture

Finally also the smart hombrewing app has been retrofitted and now can benefit of the powerful and flexible MQTT architecture.
I have already notified all the smartPID customer to perform the FW upgrade and to download the andorid smartphone app...please remember that the old solution (via thingspeak ) is not more supported

Notice that the new FW introduce lot of other features and enhancement including some robustness feature (process watchdog, auto resume after power down) so it's strongly suggested to upgrade to last version available. All upgrade details and FW version are downloadable from the wiki section of web site.

Now all applications are aligned and have same remote control framework and consistent user experience but still some development are on going on the app side to perform 

recipe management
brew day process visual status

few other requirements collected from your feedback will be implemented soon

Other work in progress..

working on a "web application" that can be used with any browser (including IOS environment) desktop and mobile. The first prototype is available and now testing

I also make a partnership with https://web.brewfather.app web homebrewing too that is very powerful and flexible, SmartPID will be integrated soon and you can mange your recipe or fermentation monitor all in one place

Last but not least I have opened a new proof of concept to integrate smartPID in the amazon echo and google home ecosystems. Smart speaker are the "cool" hi-tech gadget of the moment and vocal interface is really something that can help smartPID to work in an even more effective way. 

Hope you appreciate the news and the effort I put in keep the project live and move forward !
stay tuned
Davide

SprocketFuel

Did anyone ever get one of these? my controller on my bulldog is bunched so thinking this might be the simple route to sorting

Slev

I did. And i still use it as my main controller for my biab setup. On the PID side, I find it's quite good to get to the strike temp without much of an overshoot. It controls/maintains mash temp reasonably well (however, temp probe placement is important). It has its flaws- UI is takes a bit of getting use to (am always pressing the back button instead of the set button , but i think the newer version is a wee bit clearer lay out). Haven't used the Web interface too often, but while basic has potential. I find some things annoying, like there not been an option to extend a mash or boil length once started (can via web interface)
However the developer has put alot of work into it. And while does not appear as active atm as he had been, i was happy to support and buy the unit. I also use a stirrer with it which is also controlled. If you had a pump, it has a few options about running it at a certain temp, time length etc.
It is good. I used an old wine presentation box as an enclosure, and wired up the sockets/probe connectors etc. Looks very DIY, but then again it is! Its been reliable. It did reboot mid brew on two occasions, but the firmware has been updated since.

SprocketFuel

Thanks Slev
I'm looking at he retro fit kit as the cube looks a lot more idiot friendly than the original pid, it should be handy enough to wire up.
It might need a little adjusting to fit the bulldog tho