• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 25, 2024, 05:52:08 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

disloyal or wrong

Started by tipp brewer, December 09, 2016, 11:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubbles

As much as I enjoyed it back in the day, I never thought it was much of an Irish Red, at least not as far as the BJCP definition is concerned. It was more like a caramelly bitter. Not much of the dry roasty finish that the BJCP mention as being typical of the style. I also remember it being a lot paler than it is currently. Maybe the recipe is being changed by Molson to be more in line with the American perception of an Irish Red? Just a thought..

molc

It's being changed to be shite, that's all I care :)
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

mick02

I commented on twitter about my disappointment of the beer one brewery produced and I got a nasty response back from them even their fan boys went to town on me. All because I didn't like their beer.

This response didn't sit too well with me at the time and I responded poorly.

Personally i would prefer to get honest feedback and engage the consumer rather than berating them.

The whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth (no pun intended)
NHC Committee member

Leann ull

What was the problem? What did you say? Curious as to how they responded

mick02

I said that I was disappointed in their beer after hearing so much about them. It really was rather benign. I'd rather not open a can of worms but let's just say their reply was far from professional. What bothered me was the amount of abuse I got from their fans and some of their staff. I had to block some users and make my account private eventually because of the backlash
NHC Committee member

Bubbles

Care to link to the tweet? I'm very interested to know which brewery it was..

molc

Craft beer in Ireland tends to be a bit cultish. Personally I don't share my feedback unless I know the brewer in question as most treat it as a pr assault rather than constructive feedback.

To be fair, feedback is probably better in a private functions rather than twitter, simply due to visibility and "optics"
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Bubbles

People take to social media all the time to highlight a bad meal in a restaurant, an overpriced cup of coffee, bad service in a shop etc. Good or bad, that's the world we live in now. I don't see why the craft beer industry in Ireland should be immune to criticism.

johnrm

I think go with your gut.
@Mick02, always good to note the batch and where purchased to back up any claim.
That is bad form from any brewer and a poor reflection of them as business people and as beer lovers.

mick02

January 02, 2017, 01:14:43 AM #39 Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 02:07:50 PM by mick02
As I said, it all got a little out of hand and was built up to be more than it was by both sides.

It was over 6 months ago so plenty of water under the bridge.

It will make me think twice about posting an opinion on a public forum again (which is a little sad but there you go). In fact I was asked to give some honest feedback about a beer lately and it made me feel pretty uncomfortable.

Personally i want to know what is wrong with my beer not what's right. If you only ever get positive feedback then how are you meant to improve?
NHC Committee member

Qs

Even if the beer was perfect you need to accept not everyone is going to like your beer.  Fan boys coming after you is one thing but the brewery should be above it.

Qs

I gave a local beer a bad review on untappd a while ago and said I'd had better service than not of the same beer and got a PM from one of the lads at the brewery asking where I had it, what was off,  etc Then he thanked me for my feedback. That's much more like what I expect.

tipp brewer

You can guess which of these breweries are most likely to be successful. The quicker breweries realise that their beer is judged in comparison with its own taste and reputation rather than others, the better it will be for them. At the end of the day our philosophy when homebrewing is usually to brew the best tasting beer we can each time and to keep improving it, not to brew something that's just ok and survive on the fact that once upon a time people realised this was better than macro beer.

Qs

Exactly. The Irish market is growing up, people are much more discerning now and rightly so, we have a lot more options.