• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 29, 2024, 01:42:44 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Irish Beer Scene

Started by GDuffY, December 12, 2016, 06:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDuffY

Hello,

Thanks for adding me to the group! I have lurked for a while but never had reason to post! and gutted i missed the big keg buy HA!
I am currently based in the UK and have lost touch with what is coming out of Ireland. I am back for the Christmas and will be Dublin, Mayo Galway based for the Holidays!
Can anyone advise of a decent bottle shop and some good beers to hunt out? I am aware of most that are available in the main chain stores but i wonder is there any decent Collaborations/ Limited releases and all round great beer being made i can find?

I plan on sharing with my local homebrew club so would like to give them the best idea of what is coming out of Ireland.

Manchester and London are coming out with some really great breweries and beers. Although the market seems to be flooded with Hype and Fuss limited releases, there is still an amazing choice to be had for all styles.

I would be happy to put a box together of some local, limited distributed beers if someone was interested in doing the same! Cloudwater, Siren, Brixton, Magic Rock, Northern Monk .... The list is endless..

Many thanks in advance for any and all info and if you find yourself in Manchester or London drop me a line and I will try point you in the rightish direction .

Cheers

GDuffY

Apologies for the essay!!

Just re read it. In Brief.. what breweries are producing the best beers? would anyone in the relevant areas like to swap a box of beer.

Don't know why I didn't write that the first time!

DEMPSEY

If you like Belgian styles then Mescan beers brewed in Mayo.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

GDuffY

Cheers Dempsey,

I have had these a few years ago when they got started, they are definitely on the list.

DEMPSEY

My personal favourite is the triple red.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

GDuffY

Not sure I have tried it! I do like the Belgian styles. It is nice to see breweries playing with the belgian Yeasts. Manchester has a brewery called Tickety Brew that uses a belgian strain also. They come out with some nice stuff

Padraic

Drinkstore has one of the best selections in Dublin.

Whiplash (rare), otterbank(very rare) and rascals (doing well, should be easily found) are good breweries set up by ex homebrewers!

I wouldn't be very familiar with a lot of the newer breweries so someone else might make recommendations..

Kinnegar are also consistently good..

Leann ull

White Hag is another solid Brewery

GDuffY

Cheers,

I will look them up and do the rounds when I get over!

Padraic

GDuffY

Cheers for the heads up! I will be out west for that week. Sounds like fun though.. Ill check in with them and see where is good to visit!

Thanks

cruiscinlan

Quote from: GDuffY on December 15, 2016, 11:29:12 AM
Cheers for the heads up! I will be out west for that week. Sounds like fun though.. Ill check in with them and see where is good to visit!

Thanks

If you're out west you'll get a decent selection in McCambridges on Shop St. in Galway, also possibly in the Harvest Off-Licences in Galway as well.

Aldi and Lidl have selections of Irish craft beers, ones to look out for in Aldi are Mescan (as you said you were looking for them), Rascals Wunderbar, Brehon Brewhouse Shanco Dubh Stout, in Lidl the Crafty Lager is a gem.

Dunnes and Tesco will have offers at Christmas as well, I'd recommend the McGargles Francis Big Bangin' IPA, the marketing/label is unadulterated muck but the beer is well regarded.  Check the bottling date on the Francis to make sure you're getting new stock.

Whiplash is available in Drinkstore, Martins in Clontarf, and Redmonds in Ranelagh.  Their current releases are True Love Waits (pils) and Rollover (session IPA).

GDuffY

Cheers for that! Ill look these up!

Looking forward to trying some of the beers from home. The Hype train has a massive hold on the UK craft scene at the moment and people seem to chase all the limited release stuff and collaborations. Although they can be amazing, I find it hard to stay up to date and join in line!!
Most of the big chains stock pretty old,warm stock so its nice to see that Aldi etc have some offerings.

Thanks again for all the heads up I really didnt want to be standing in a Tesco with no idea if whats what! if anyone fancied a bottle swap in the future I would be happy to start picking up a few of the fun stuff and swapping a box in the new year sometime! I am bringing most of what i get back to have with the local Homebrew Club.

Cheers

GDuffY

Quic thank you to everyone who pointed me in the direction of great beers! One question to ask though, I managed to pick up the bold and the fearless from 8 degrees barrel  series, anyone have a lead on the good?? I would be happy to send a similar limited release from london back if someone would be willing to go through the hassle of sending it. off the top of my head I have some cloudwater barrel aged Imp Stouts and some Burning Sky releases I would happily send to make the set. All beers are for a local bottle share homebrew group s would be delighted to present the full set.

Anyway thanks again for the insight! I was amazed and delighted by the selection I found and great to see Irish beers right up there with the Industry leaders!!