• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 08:51:58 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

South Dublin brewers communal brewday discussion

Started by Shanna, February 12, 2017, 12:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shanna

Hi there fellow South Dublin brewers & other interested brewers,

Sitting at home at present with two sick children baby sitting and trying to entertain myself by reading some of the brewing books I got from Santa. While browsing through the Camra British Real Ale book by Graham Wheeler I came across the Timothy Taylor Landlord recipe. Got me looking for more details on the actual beer brewed by the brewers themselves. http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/golden-promise-malt-1kg-simpsons-46-ebc-whole-p-4172.html. They list 100% golden promise malt v 99.3% in the Graham Wheeler recipe (0.7% black malt).

Several of us have talked about doing a communal brewday in the past. I would love to do another one of these again with maybe a gas fired rig, all in one system like a grain father, a traditional 3 vessel system & maybe even an extract version for comparison. This recipe intrigues me as its absolutely simple grain bill & just classic English hops e.g.Golding and Styrian Goldings. I would be interested/willing in hosting a brewday with the four different types of system all trying to brew the same recipe. Am open to convincing whether to all try and produce the same beer e.g. using same hops, yeast & grain bill or else just let each person doing the brew do their own thing. Either way I think it would make for a really cool day and also be a real challenge to get something close to the real thing. Have never done anything as simple as this before so I think it would be a really good test of fundamentals. No mad flavours to hide behind and a real focus on brewing fundamentals such as mash temperature control and hops schedule.

If there is any interest in this will be happy to discuss it further either here on line or at the next South Dublin brewers meeting in the Dark Horse in a few weeks time.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

LASERBOY147

Hi Shanna. I'm currently using the Golden promise malt in an ordinary bitter. I used a mangrove jacks yeast Liberty bell  . Ideally an English strain better ofc
It's a great malt and a great idea gl

molc

I actually have a TT landlord recipe sitting in my to brew folder for a month or two now, so perfect timing. Golden promise and good fermentation are key to get the most of such a simple recipe, but we'll up for it.

As both our kit are fairly similar, I'll just be bringing myself I guess :)
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Shanna

Quote from: molc on February 12, 2017, 03:02:24 PM
I actually have a TT landlord recipe sitting in my to brew folder for a month or two now, so perfect timing. Golden promise and good fermentation are key to get the most of such a simple recipe, but we'll up for it.

As both our kit are fairly similar, I'll just be bringing myself I guess :)
Need some advise from you re getting the gear to deal with the same volumes we did with the Halloween brew last year. Was thinking of buying a 25kg bag of the golden promise and using either the WYeast 1496 (yorkshire strain) or WL-037. Add to this a hundred grams of both Stryian and EKG and four kilos of light dry malt and we should be good to go. It would be great if we could get somebody to rock up with a gas powered rig and also a grain father (hint hint Bubbles). The shed won't support running the grain father and my own gear so it would probably mean setting it up outside and powering it from the house. With a variety of gears in use we probably want to try and wait till the weather improves meaning its going to have to wait for a few months yet. However no harm in having a yarn about it now.

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

molc

You can just brew to a higher gravity and then dilute at the end. Takes a bit of tweaking in beersmith with the dilution tool to get the numbers right and then your good to go. Also check out an article or two on high gravity brewing to see how you need to tweak hopping rates.

Getting the right yeast strain will make a big difference. Would be interesting to see how it compares to a batch with wlp002 as well.

Shanna

Quote from: molc on February 12, 2017, 03:50:04 PM
You can just brew to a higher gravity and then dilute at the end. Takes a bit of tweaking in beersmith with the dilution tool to get the numbers right and then your good to go. Also check out an article or two on high gravity brewing to see how you need to tweak hopping rates.

Getting the right yeast strain will make a big difference. Would be interesting to see how it compares to a batch with wlp002 as well.
Will do re the high gravity brewing. Did a 10kg batch for the RIS early doors when starting to brew but its several years ago now. Will take a look out for some articles on this. What I have read so far is that the WYeast 1496 is the actual yeast used by Timothy Taylor but maybe what we can do is to vary a couple of different yeast from the same batch and maybe try something like the WLP-002 on an extract brew.

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

Bubbles

I'll have to fire the thing up myself first, before I do any side by side brewing with people! :)

Great idea, but the recipe wouldn't excite me tbh. I've done a couple of LL type beers before, with mixed results, and I wouldn't be that pushed to do another one, at least not in the next few months.

I'd say it's more important to just get a quality English pale malt (like Crisp, Simpsons, Fawcetts etc.) than it is to specifically get Golden Promise. Though no harm in getting as close to the (alleged) recipe as possible. Btw, I'd take the recipes in that Wheeler book with a big pinch of salt. Not near enough discussion about yeast in that book. He also states in the book that not all of the recipes have been tested, because it would be too time-consuming. How can you argue with that kind of meticulous research...?  :-X

That West Yorkshire is often touted to be the golden bullet when attempting a LL clone, but I found it overattenuative and lacking in flavour. Though that is probably down to fermentation temperature. You might have better luck with it.

Best of luck with it anyway.

stevosan

Would love to be involved with a communal brew day. I am afraid I must echo Bubbles however , haven't ever brewed any English ale styles, and don't plan to either!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishjam45 (Colin)

Quote from: Shanna on February 12, 2017, 12:27:01 PM

Several of us have talked about doing a communal brewday in the past. I would love to do another one of these again with maybe a gas fired rig, all in one system like a grain father, a traditional 3 vessel system & maybe even an extract version for comparison.

Brewday sounds good, Grainfather user here & interested.
Garden County Brewers

https://gcbrewers.wordpress.com/

Shanna

Quote from: Bubbles on February 13, 2017, 10:01:13 AM
I'll have to fire the thing up myself first, before I do any side by side brewing with people! :)

Great idea, but the recipe wouldn't excite me tbh. I've done a couple of LL type beers before,
Couple of points.
1. It will be a while yet so hopefully it would give you time to get your training wheels off.
2. Am not rigid on and recipe & suggested that one as it seemed a reasonably good beer with a straight forward grain bill. If you had q alternative that would interest you more & encourage you to participate am all ears. Better out than in & would like to encourage participation as its a great way to learn I find.
3. Other thing is would love to see the grain father in action.

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

Shanna

Quote from: fishjam45 on February 13, 2017, 09:07:32 PM

Several of us have talked about doing a communal brewday in the past. I would love to do another one of these again with maybe a gas fired rig, all in one system like a grain father, a traditional 3 vessel system & maybe even an extract version for comparison.

Cool if your up for it. Might encourage Bubbles to come along as an interested spectator to see how your setting up & using the grain father.

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

Shanna

Quote from: stevosan on February 13, 2017, 04:10:09 PM
Would love to be involved with a communal brew day. I am afraid I must echo Bubbles however , haven't ever brewed any English ale styles, and don't plan to either!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like I posted earlier recipe was a suggestion so there is flexibility. If there is an alternative recipe or style that would interest a wider group & encourage more participation I am open to suggestion. Even having different recipes done on different brewing setups might be the way to go. Just ideas to throw out there. I could do the 3 vessel electric brew & an extract with the grain father & gas being done by others. Throw in a barbeque later in the day & it has the making of a bit of craic.

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

molc

Something with pils and wheat could form a good base for anything Belgian. Oh or a berlinnerweisse!

Bubbles

Quote from: Shanna on February 13, 2017, 10:18:27 PM
Quote from: Bubbles on February 13, 2017, 10:01:13 AM

Great idea, but the recipe wouldn't excite me tbh. I've done a couple of LL type beers before,
Couple of points.
1. It will be a while yet so hopefully it would give you time to get your training wheels off.
2. Am not rigid on and recipe & suggested that one as it seemed a reasonably good beer with a straight forward grain bill. If you had q alternative that would interest you more & encourage you to participate am all ears. Better out than in & would like to encourage participation as its a great way to learn I find.
3. Other thing is would love to see the grain father in action.

Shanna

I don't want to sway you from your Landlord plan, it's a great idea! Better to have slightly differing approaches though, as molc says. I think I can offer a bit more advice on recipe, so let's talk further at the meet next week.

I'm planning a couple of stouts and pale ales in the next few weeks, as stocks are running dangerously low. I also want to do a big beer for ageing while the weather is still cold.

Bubbles

Quote from: Shanna on February 13, 2017, 10:20:41 PM
Quote from: fishjam45 on February 13, 2017, 09:07:32 PM

Cool if your up for it. Might encourage Bubbles to come along as an interested spectator to see how your setting up & using the grain father.

Shanna

Great idea, though I might have popped its cherry by then.