• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 04:02:37 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

South Dublin brewers communal brewday discussion

Started by Shanna, February 12, 2017, 12:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

molc

A simple recipe is a great test of brewing skills and fermentation, as you can isolate differences and see what in the process is causing it.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Bubbles

I want to do another SMaSH brew. I also want to make an interesting example of the much maligned style, the Irish Red. :)

molc

Oh Irish red, now there's a great style to do. Beautiful beer if done well and often overlooked

Shanna

Quote from: Bubbles on February 14, 2017, 10:07:33 AM
I want to do another SMaSH brew. I also want to make an interesting example of the much maligned style, the Irish Red. :)
Heheh snap I recently bought liquid yeast and red malt to do the same :) Even with all of the Smithwick hoha it's something I would like to try & also do some on nitro.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

craiclad

If any of you crack the Irish Red let me know. One of those styles that I can never seem to get right.

CC

I'd be well up for a communal brew day lads... don't mind what way it runs...
I do think that a simple pale ale is the best way of refining technique as any flaws have nowhere to hide and are easier to identify...
I also love that simple subtle style so no probs here with a TT Landlord effort- I spose it depends what we're setting out to achieve/learn on the day

More importantly Shanna since last June's event at yours, my life has become a lot more settled- to the point that I feel I might be able to rise to a "signature dish"

Shanna

Quote from: CC on February 15, 2017, 08:17:33 PM
I'd be well up for a communal brew day lads... don't mind what way it runs...
I do think that a simple pale ale is the best way of refining technique as any flaws have nowhere to hide and are easier to identify...
I also love that simple subtle style so no probs here with a TT Landlord effort- I spose it depends what we're setting out to achieve/learn on the day

More importantly Shanna since last June's event at yours, my life has become a lot more settled- to the point that I feel I might be able to rise to a "signature dish"
Heheheh hand rolled pasta here we gone. I have also tightened up my brew setup since last year. Switched to SS fermenter & also reconfigured my pump setup to minimise the number of disconnecting tubes I need to make. Couple this with the recalibration of my volumes on my HLT & boiler means I am hitting my numbers more.

Shanna

PS: Molc if your reading this could you please send me the beersmith recipe for the Belgian beer you brewed around Halloween. I want to verify that I setting the large brew up correctly.
Hops Group buy packer

molc

Sure, will dug it out and send it on.  Think I have a manual tweak in it for the dilution level, but it seeks to have worked out :)

Shanna

Lads was thinking about doing the communal brewday in the weekend before the August bank holiday as my wife & kids are going to visit family overseas that weekend. Should mean that I can prepare this in advance & plan to have the entire day to do this & also arrange something like a barbeque at end of the day.

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

molc

Meant to send you that recipe, doh! Suits me as that's my birthday weekend. As if I needed an excuse to drink ;)

Shanna

Quote from: molc on March 27, 2017, 05:47:45 PM
Meant to send you that recipe, doh! Suits me as that's my birthday weekend. As if I needed an excuse to drink ;)
Taxi please :)

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

molc

Ph that's a given. Hard enough time staying between the ditches when sober!

Shanna

Quote from: Shanna on February 12, 2017, 03:45:50 PM
Was thinking of buying a 25kg bag of the golden promise and using either the WYeast 1496 (yorkshire strain) or WL-037. Add to this a hundred grams of both Stryian and EKG and four kilos of light dry malt and we should be good to go.

Shanna
Lads can't seem to find either of these two yeasts in either HBW or THBC online. If anybody knows somewhere else to source these yeasts or else suggest something different or even provide a sample of either would be great.

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

molc

http://www.geterbrewed.ie/wyeast-west-yorkshire-ale-1469/

They shoe as in stock, though you can never trust the website I've found. :/ Shane is doing a white labs order on the Hbc thread if needed as well.