• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 29, 2024, 11:59:31 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

1601 lager blacks of kinsale

Started by Joe Cal, February 23, 2017, 01:33:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Cal

What style of lager would this fall into? My wife loves it (I like it too but prefer the pale ale), in particular the caramel sweetness in the background. Not overpowering. I see cascade hops are used and I don't want to copy it, just try something similar to win me some brownie points. I looked at a few lagers on bjcp style guidelines. Vienna and marzen were my first guesses cause of its colour but both specify no caramel. Thinking now maybe a Helles?

Taf

1601 is a gluten free beer, so maybe slightly process to brew than a standard lager. Sorry, not sure what style it is. Maybe check with Sam from Blacks on twitter.

nigel_c

I reckon you could get very similar results with USO5 at a low temp if you can't lager properly.

mick02

Beer Advocate have it listed as a German Pilsner (although I've no idea how they came up with that)

I haven't tasted the original so can't give much help other than the above.

Good luck with the brew, I'd love to hear how it turns out for you.
NHC Committee member

BrewDorg

I definitely don't think this one is a Vienna or Marzen. I imagine they were shooting for German Pils but missed the mark completely in my opinion.

Joe Cal

February 23, 2017, 03:04:50 PM #5 Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 03:27:21 PM by Joe Cal
I've just bottled a kolsch. 15 degrees for 2 weeks with us05. Irish pilsner 650g. Irish vienna 400g and 30g acid malt. I'll see if that's "interesting enough without being weird"
-edited to her words

I've been reading through the styles since and think I'll try a version of a Munich dunkel, using melanoidin and carafa for the caramel

mr hoppy

Quote from: BrewDorg on February 23, 2017, 02:11:43 PM
I definitely don't think this one is a Vienna or Marzen. I imagine they were shooting for German Pils but missed the mark completely in my opinion.

According to Sam, they were shooting for something they could sell to people who came up to their stand at beer festivals asking for a lager.

BJCP beer styles are for homebrew comps, not for life. :)

BrewDorg

Agree completely. Spose I just meant I didn't like the taste :P

mr hoppy

Quote from: BrewDorg on February 23, 2017, 04:46:14 PM
Agree completely. Spose I just meant I didn't like the taste :P

It wouldn't be my favourite of their brews either, but then I'm not the target market. (If I was it would taste the same as Ayinger Jahrhundret)

Joe Cal

Sounds like a rastafari beer. Jah runned red

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Pheeel

Quote from: Taf on February 23, 2017, 10:17:59 AM
1601 is a gluten free beer, so maybe slightly process to brew than a standard lager. Sorry, not sure what style it is. Maybe check with Sam from Blacks on twitter.

It's brewed with barley so strictly speaking it would be a gluten removed beer. While this meets the legal definition of gluten free it may still not be acceptable for celiacs
Issues with your membership? PM me!