• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 18, 2024, 10:06:06 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Starsan residue - safe to bottle?

Started by willk, March 12, 2017, 08:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willk

This is my first bottling using Starsan.  I've soaked in "oxi" and then sprayed the interiors with Starsan (15ml in 10L).  The bottles are drying on racks but have a very fine/light bubble ring retained in the necks.  In your collective experience, is this OK to ignore and proceed with bottling?  I'll be conditioning cider in these bottles - all 360 of them - and I want to get it right!

Thanks

mr hoppy

Yep. SS is fine in bottles. It's neutralised by the acidity of the beer or cider

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leann ull

Get yourself a bottle rinser at some stage, three pushes and your good to go, SS is grand in that ratio

Will_D

Starsan when used at the stated dilution is classed as a "no rinse cleaner".

What does this really mean?

It means that in countries ([smug face] i.e. the 3rd World!! )where the tap water is NOT safe to drink you DONT rinse the bottles/equipment.

In certain parts of Ireland it is also NOT safe to drink the tap water.

If you live in Dublin and Malahide and like the taste of safe, chlorinated water then by all means rinse!!

HTH

Will
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

willk

Thanks lads.

My previous regime was soak in VWP and rinse in best Donegal tap water.  I was always a little uneasy about it but was bottling apple hooch at 7%.  I've been reducing the ABV and was nervous about introducing viable bacteria or moulds - remember this stuff might be kept in bottle for another 18 months or so.  Unless the usual greedy b@st@rds show up...

I've finished the batch rinse now with no final in tapwater.  Maybe next season :-)