• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 01:32:58 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Brewpi on the Cheap

Started by darren996, March 24, 2017, 08:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darren996

Yep have done, I discarded it at the time as there were no graphs but Vito has all that working now and it looks great. You could be all in for about 20 euro I reckon, that's not bad at all.

What turned me off it is that it's a bit more complicated to setup with the arduino ide but I have a spare esp8266 so I plan to set it up for another chamber in my kegerator. 

Thorraks guide was more complete and it is really easy to setup as you flash the esp8266 from the pi so that's why I went that route. Plus there is multi chamber support now.

The D1 mini boards are great and can power the LCD screen.

johnrm

I found a Brewpiless thread on this ages ago and got all the bits except dupont cables - ordering these now.

I can get Hello World and Blink working on this...
https://goo.gl/KnhWD7

While I have a Pi (its in the kids Kano) I thought it was possible to get an ESP8266 to do all the Pi Magic.
Hence BrewPiLess...

imark

You'll be very happy with it John. They're great yoke for equivalent cost of an STC-1000.

johnrm

Do you HAVE to use the Pi to get the ESP up and running?
I saw a lot of stuff on Linux, but I don't have a Tuxbox lying around right now.
Ideally trying to get up an running from arduino IDE on W10

imark

No need for pi. I did way you plan to several months ago.

johnrm

What's the trick to getting it across to the board?
I can pop across a simple sketch no problem, just can't figure how to get PiLess across as there is no 'main'.
Components are not all connected, but that should not matter to get the code across.

darren996

Don't bother building the sketch

Go to the GitHub page, download the software, unzip it and there should be a folder called bin.  Locate the bin you want and use another program called nodemcu flasher to flash the bin file to the esp. Nodemcu is a windows program that will flash a bin to an esp that is connected to a pc with a usb cable. Think it flashes on com4

Easiest and cheapest way to get a brewpi up and running

https://github.com/vitotai/BrewPiLess

johnrm

Thanks Darren, seems to work...

I have NodeMCU.
I select the active COM port and get baud right I click Flash - Seems to flash something.
In Config I pick out C:\Users\John\Documents\Arduino\BrewPiLess\bins\BrewPiLess.v2.3.3.bin
Flash that and done?

I have all components except the Dupont cables so can't test but want to puzzle flashing.

I'm amazed that there aren't more howtos online to compile and transfer the code.

darren996

That's it John.

Search your WiFi connections on the pc and you should see the brewpiless . Connect to it then you will be able to access the config console in your browser

johnrm

I'll give the BrewPiless a go again.
I pushed the iSpindel .bin to D1 board. I can connect to its AP and configure it.
I had a snoop at ubidots too.
Very clever stuff.
I might throw a how-to together and post it here.
Thanks for the assist lads, appreciated.

johnrm

Wondering about the practicality/possibility of bolting on pH recording.
http://www.instructables.com/id/ORP-pH-Temperature-Data-Logger/

imark

The fermentation might leave residue on the pH probe that would give incorrect readings?

johnrm

I was thinking that too.
The project above is for a water application so pH should be relatively consistent.
Heres a probe designed for constant use...
http://hannainst.com/hi1001-ph-electrode-for-continuous-flow-thru-monitoring.html

Shanna

Quote from: darren996 on April 06, 2017, 12:50:12 PM
Yep have done, I discarded it at the time as there were no graphs but Vito has all that working now and it looks great. You could be all in for about 20 euro I reckon, that's not bad at all.

What turned me off it is that it's a bit more complicated to setup with the arduino ide but I have a spare esp8266 so I plan to set it up for another chamber in my kegerator. 

Thorraks guide was more complete and it is really easy to setup as you flash the esp8266 from the pi so that's why I went that route. Plus there is multi chamber support now.

Darren any chance you could help me out with work the Esp8266 & the relay. Really struggling to make sense of the wiring from the pictures. If you have a link to a clear diagram please post it. I have the one wire relays already wired but need a bit of help to figure out the relay, raspberry pi & esp8266 wiring. Any pointers/help would be appreciated. I have DuPont connectors & a bread board also.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

darren996

October 22, 2017, 07:39:14 PM #29 Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 07:57:17 PM by darren996
Quote from: Shanna on October 22, 2017, 06:00:32 PM
Quote from: darren996 on April 06, 2017, 12:50:12 PM

Darren any chance you could help me out with work the Esp8266 & the relay. Really struggling to make sense of the wiring from the pictures. If you have a link to a clear diagram please post it. I have the one wire relays already wired but need a bit of help to figure out the relay, raspberry pi & esp8266 wiring. Any pointers/help would be appreciated. I have DuPont connectors & a bread board also.

Shanna
Sure Shanna, what's the exact issue? What implementation are you doing

I just finished a brewpiless box

Here are a few pics

Top left is a mains to 5v converter, this powers the wemos d1 mini

Top right is the d1 mini on a breadboard
Bottom is the relay I am using

Spot the wiring mistake? Second relay, dark brown cable should be in the middle terminal on the relay.