• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 19, 2024, 10:52:07 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

First beer - All grain American Lager

Started by eduhZ, April 23, 2017, 05:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eduhZ

Hi guys :)

2 friends and I brew our first beer last month and we have just bottled it today.

As we are newbies, we did our best but we would like to see if someone (one or two people) with some knowledge would like to meet us and drink our beer to give us a feedback and tips for our next brewing. Because if we drink and it's drinkable we may not notice our mistakes there.

It's an American Lager (we discovered that was not the best choice for our first brewery too late), but the result looks ok :).

It's smelling and tasting beer. So hopefully won't be completely garbage.

General Info:

American Lager
IG - 1.048
FG - 1.006
5,5%

We live in Drumcondra, beer will be ready within 2 weeks. (Hopefully). If anyone around wanna help :). Give us a shout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

irish_goat

Welcome!

Lager is definitely a touch choice for a beginner brewer but you can get surprisingly good results still. Was this a kit or allgrain?

eduhZ

Quote from: irish_goat on April 23, 2017, 05:50:55 PM
Welcome!

Lager is definitely a touch choice for a beginner brewer but you can get surprisingly good results still. Was this a kit or allgrain?

It was all grain. We probably didn't do that bad. But an expert option would help a lot

Jonnycheech

Hi and welcome Eduhz!

I'm living in Drumcondra myself and i'm a member of Capital Brewers. You should try and get to a meet, they happen on the last Wednesday of every month and you can get feedback there!

Lager is not an easy style to start with, usually due to the yeast requiring a low and consistent fermentation temp. If you don't have this you may encounter a lot of off flavours; acetylaldehyde, diacetyl and more. Do you ferm temp control?
Tapped:
Fermentors:
Bottled:

eduhZ

April 24, 2017, 12:21:31 PM #4 Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 06:35:34 PM by eduhZ
Great, it won't be ready for the next meeting.

We didn't keep in a fridge, however we had a room that were between 14 and 16 degrees. Yeast was recommend between 12 and 15. There is off flavour from it. :/ learning from mistakes.

We will choose better a beer which matches with our equipment.

I'll check about the club. Thanks