• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 02:32:37 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

National Brewing Championships 2019

Started by mick02, April 10, 2018, 01:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mick02

Quote from: lordstilton on May 27, 2018, 05:27:45 PM
What was the point in the vote?
To create a discussion around moving the date of the nationals. Thanks to everyone that voted.
NHC Committee member

lordstilton

A discussion that was ignored by the looks of it

mick02

Quote from: mick02 on April 10, 2018, 07:37:50 PM
Have added poll. It will run for 60 days. All results kept hidden until poll finishes. P.S. the results of this poll do not automatically mean a change in dates for the nationals.

As you can see from my earlier post it was never stated or implied that the outcome of this vote would automatically mean that the date would be moved. It's never going to suit all the people all the time. The date of the Nationals was moved to a later date so I think that this poll was a success. Again I appreciate all that took the time to vote. We discussed the outcome of this vote and after some discussion we settled on the 23rd March. We'll see you on the 23rd March (or not)
NHC Committee member

Dodge

Mick this isn't a moan or anything and I do appreciate all the hard work that you and others do behind the scenes.

My concern is that the NHC seems to have stalled. At least from what I here and see on other forums. This was seen at the last competition and from Brewcon.  I know you had said the competition date wouldn't be changed as such but allow people to vote. The members voted and 70% wanted the change whilst 15% wanted the date to remain. Not all people that voted attended the AGM so we don't know what dates where discussed.

I would of thought that to get more people involved in helping then look at the time period that suits the majority. All it seems is from this exercise is, lets get everyones thoughts but let's not change things and we will have less people to help out.

I could be wrong?

mick02

Quote from: Dodge on May 27, 2018, 05:58:55 PM
Mick this isn't a moan or anything and I do appreciate all the hard work that you and others do behind the scenes.

My concern is that the NHC seems to have stalled. At least from what I here and see on other forums. This was seen at the last competition and from Brewcon.  I know you had said the competition date wouldn't be changed as such but allow people to vote. The members voted and 70% wanted the change whilst 15% wanted the date to remain. Not all people that voted attended the AGM so we don't know what dates where discussed.

I would of thought that to get more people involved in helping then look at the time period that suits the majority. All it seems is from this exercise is, lets get everyones thoughts but let's not change things and we will have less people to help out.

I could be wrong?
I hear you Dodge and I'm sure it's frustrating when something like this happens. As with anything there are a number of factors at play here. Easter lands in April which means mid term breaks etc, May is Brewcon as well as Communions and sporting finals. We figured that the competition should be done in the first half of the year. When I spoke to members at club nights or Brewcon or the Nationals the over arching reason for changing the date was that people did not have any time over Christmas to brew beer for the Nationals in February. By pushing this out to the end of March we were able to give brewers a bit more wiggle room to get their beers brewed and ready and at the same time avoiding the hurdles that I just mentioned.

I appreciate the comments regarding the work that goes on behind the scenes, it really is a thankless task but we all do it for the love of the club. Also please realize that this date was not chosen to annoy or  inconvenience anyone there was some discussion around it. I'm hoping that all the members can accept this decision and work towards making their best beer for the competition.

Another reason that I put this post up so far in advance was to give people time to prepare and to have these discussions. I've no problem discussing these decisions with the members so if there is any question you have please let me know. I'll answer it as honestly as possible but please be aware that you make not like the answer I give.

Mick
NHC Committee member

mick02

Quote from: Dodge on May 27, 2018, 05:58:55 PM

I could be wrong?

You're right about the NHC stalling and we have a plan to get some life back into the club. Discussions like this show that there is passion in the club which is great to see. We'll try get the minutes of the AGM up as soon as possible so all the members can get some idea of what we were discussing.
NHC Committee member

Boycott

This is quite bizarre, 80% on here wanted another time of year than Q1 of 2019. This was then brought up at the agm and a date decided to completely oppose that wish. Very undemocratic no? Why not have another poll and have people vote for specific dates.

I was under the understanding that decisions like that were not actually made at the AGMs and they would be put to the majority on the forum.

delzep

Quote from: mick02 on May 27, 2018, 06:08:33 PM
We figured that the competition should be done in the first half of the year. When I spoke to members at club nights or Brewcon or the Nationals the over arching reason for changing the date was that people did not have any time over Christmas to brew beer for the Nationals in February.

Why should the competition be done in the first half of the year? In fact, around October would be perfect as it means outdoor brewing, bbq and beer meetings to sample potential entries, less chances of judges having sniffles etc.

Also the nationals were in March this year (Original date too before the bad weather)

pob

(Wasn't at the AGM, so not party to discussion)

Choosing the date has to be practical and needs a few aspects to lineup; the beer brewed for it needs time to be ready & the volunteers need to be available.

When organising the competition you need 2 free weekends back to back (sorting & judging), possibly 3 with 2 legs and getting the organisers, judges & stewards can be difficult with other activities on.

Trying to pick a suitable time each year needs planning with Easter moving around each year.

The 6 nations is a messy time. Easter rules out 3 weekends as schools are off for 2 weeks & people often take hols over this time. May adds communion/confirmation/sports finals/beer festivals, etc.

Summertime (June/July/Aug) won't happen - people on hols.

Autumn (Sept/Oct) difficulty brewing/conditioning/storage without temperature control during the summer.

Dec - silly season

Jan/Feb - people not brewing over Christmas

Dodge

Quote from: pob on May 27, 2018, 09:18:58 PM
(Wasn't at the AGM, so not party to discussion)

Choosing the date has to be practical and needs a few aspects to lineup; the beer brewed for it needs time to be ready & the volunteers need to be available.

When organising the competition you need 2 free weekends back to back (sorting & judging), possibly 3 with 2 legs and getting the organisers, judges & stewards can be difficult with other activities on.

Trying to pick a suitable time each year needs planning with Easter moving around each year.

The 6 nations is a messy time. Easter rules out 3 weekends as schools are off for 2 weeks & people often take hols over this time. May adds communion/confirmation/sports finals/beer festivals, etc.

Summertime (June/July/Aug) won't happen - people on hols.

Autumn (Sept/Oct) difficulty brewing/conditioning/storage without temperature control during the summer.

Dec - silly season

Jan/Feb - people not brewing over Christmas

Yeah your right.

It was just my thought that if the question was put out to all and a majority chose a period, then the NHC have more people to assist during this period. Obviously for anyone that voted would of taken theses events like Easter, holidays, communion etc etc into account. To use this as an excuse not to change I don't think holds
What's happened now I think is that the small minority that didn't want the change of date will be the few that will have to assist.

CH

I think if somebody wants to change the dates they need to champion the change. If you want a change then deliver it, calling for change but expecting the same old faces to deliver it I don't think is very fair. These are volunteers with families and commitments of their own just like you.
If you can't put your name beside your chosen month to volunteer one day on 2 consecutive weeekends for the Nationals then you have to let the organisers and volunteers that do sacrifice their personal time choose the date and to be honest as far as I can see imho where the decision process should start.

Beerbuddha

Run it your way guys dont listen to the plebs who are too thick to understand why the date can't be changed.

At least you are all singing same tune when opposition to change comes I respect that also...If you want change put your name forward people give up there time.........etc

IBD Member

lordstilton

John I've volunteered at every final except this year and so have plenty others that voted to move date..I like roger understand and appreciate the time others put in not just on the day but also the weeks and months leading up to it to organise it..if the month of March is the only month that suits that should of been stated at the start and not have a vote to move which was never going to be implemented... It leaves a bad taste in the mouth of the membership

mick02

All,

As I mentioned a few posts back, the change of date for the Nationals was discussed at the AGM.
There were some concerns based around hosting the competition in Q2 as was indicated as the preferable month in the poll on this thread.

The concerns that were raised were

Clashes in dates with Easter, Mid Term Break, 6 Nations, Brewcon, Communions.

There was also a concern raised in private regarding the storage of entries in warmer months.

In the interest of democracy I propose we hold a second official vote whereby all members are contacted individually and asked to register their vote. This will give all members a chance to vote not just the members that use the forum regularly.

The vote will be via a poll on the forum that will be open for transparency.

Members will be asked to ratify the 23rd of March 2019 as the date for the Nationals or else they will be asked to put forward a different month.

If the vote indicates a change of month then the committee will try to run the competition on a date during that month that they feel is most appropriate taking into account potential clashes with sporting events, school holidays or religious events.

Can I get another member to second this proposal?

I trust that this is fair and transparent to all members and that we can all accept the outcome of this vote.

I would call on members to give careful consideration to major events that happen in your chosen month (if the 23rd March is not your preference).

If this proposal is seconded I will set up a different thread in the members area of the forum for this poll and I will contact all members via email with a link to the poll.

I trust this is acceptable.

Thanks,

Mick
NHC Committee member

CH

Garrett we have all done our bit, I wasn't involved this year and didn't even enter, which was worse, but my point was the folks that are running it, which I guess is the competition committee?, call it.
42 folks opted to have it in Q2 so there is definitely a will to change we just need volunteers to drive it?

I had loads of polls over the years on this forum and feck all was done about them, I blame Mick and the enthusiasm of youth :laugh: and to quote him above;
"the results of this poll do not automatically mean a change in dates for the nationals".   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯