• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 05, 2024, 02:10:40 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

National Brewing Championships 2019

Started by mick02, April 10, 2018, 01:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CH

Power to the People, it worked for Brexit  ;D ;D
Gone on I'll second your proposal!

GlasbrewInc

Quote from: mick02 on May 28, 2018, 03:51:47 PM
All,

As I mentioned a few posts back, the change of date for the Nationals was discussed at the AGM.
There were some concerns based around hosting the competition in Q2 as was indicated as the preferable month in the poll on this thread.

The concerns that were raised were

Clashes in dates with Easter, Mid Term Break, 6 Nations, Brewcon, Communions.

There was also a concern raised in private regarding the storage of entries in warmer months.

In the interest of democracy I propose we hold a second official vote whereby all members are contacted individually and asked to register their vote. This will give all members a chance to vote not just the members that use the forum regularly.

The vote will be via a poll on the forum that will be open for transparency.

Members will be asked to ratify the 23rd of March 2019 as the date for the Nationals or else they will be asked to put forward a different month.

If the vote indicates a change of month then the committee will try to run the competition on a date during that month that they feel is most appropriate taking into account potential clashes with sporting events, school holidays or religious events.

Can I get another member to second this proposal?

I trust that this is fair and transparent to all members and that we can all accept the outcome of this vote.

I would call on members to give careful consideration to major events that happen in your chosen month (if the 23rd March is not your preference).

If this proposal is seconded I will set up a different thread in the members area of the forum for this poll and I will contact all members via email with a link to the poll.

I trust this is acceptable.

Thanks,

Mick

Hi Mick,

I'll second your motion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mick02

Quote from: CH on May 28, 2018, 04:01:35 PM
Power to the People, it worked for Brexit  ;D ;D
Gone on I'll second your proposal!
OK the wheels of democracy are in motion.
I will set up a separate thread and poll shortly once I find out how to get in touch with all the members.
NHC Committee member

Dr Jacoby

Every little helps

mick02

Scotch Ale, Lambic and Barleywine brewers ... start your engines
NHC Committee member

mick02

Anyone entering a Marzen? Time to get brewing.
NHC Committee member

mick02

August 27, 2018, 11:38:20 AM #66 Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 10:31:05 PM by mick02
If you are planning on entering a Weisenbock or Belgian Strong in the 2019 competition then now is a good time to brew it in order to have it in prime condition for the competition.
NHC Committee member

mick02

If you're brewing this weekend or next and have one eye on the Nationals then a Dopplebock brewed in the coming weeks should be in prime condition for the Nationals in March.

Here's some tips on brewing a good DoppleBock

https://byo.com/article/brewing-doppelbock-tips-from-the-pros/
NHC Committee member

Daves Beer/Ale

Is there a specific style of beer for the 2019 Nationals? Just so I know what to put on. I am thinking of doing All grain beer using BIAB. This will be my first time

mick02

Quote from: Daves Beer/Ale on October 30, 2018, 06:06:29 PM
Is there a specific style of beer for the 2019 Nationals? Just so I know what to put on. I am thinking of doing All grain beer using BIAB. This will be my first time
We usually accommodate all styles of beer in the nationals. If there are too few entries of a surviving style then @slugtrap usually tries to pool similar categories together to make sure there is sufficient competition.
NHC Committee member

Rosmucman

I was wondering if you're considering adding any of the provisional styles? Burton Ale,New England IPA,Catharina Sour or New Zealand Pilsner.
The guidelines are here http://dev.bjcp.org/provisional-styles/

SlugTrap

Yes + no.

17A. Burton Ale + 21B. New England IPA, definitely.
They represent the BJCP finally doing their homework (Burton) or catching up with trends (NEIPA) and so are totally valid additions.
(In fact, we already took NEIPA as its own style last year with our homebaked guidelines.)

X4. Catharina Sour + X5. New Zealand Pilsner, no.
This is just following precedent: we haven't ever taken entries for the other Local Styles (X1. Dorada Pampeana, X2. Argentine IPA. X3. Italian Grape Ale) so I don't see any reason to take these new ones, either.
They are "more important for home brewers in a single country" according to the BJCP, and therefore don't really apply to us.

I hope this makes sense.

Rosmucman

Makes total sense,and a Catharina Sour could probably be entered in 28c? As for an New Zealand Pilsner I've no idea what category it could be entered in.

SlugTrap

Quote from: Rosmucman on October 30, 2018, 09:40:42 PM
Makes total sense,and a Catharina Sour could probably be entered in 28c? As for an New Zealand Pilsner I've no idea what category it could be entered in.

re:NZ Pils - I'd have to think about that one.

Last year we put India Pale Lagers in as Specialty IPA; I could see that fitting here.
The Guidelines themselves talk about the similarity between New Zealand Pilsner and British Golden Ale; that would work, too.

Do we reckon anybody wants to brew this style?

molc

Made one there recently and it's a cracking style, but was hesitant to brew it for nationals, as I don't really know where it would be judged or what against. It tastes like an american pale ale but there's a lovely malt presence that you usually don't get in a pale ale, as the hops, yeast and base grain all hide it. In specialty IPA it would be obliterated, as the juicy hops would stomp all over it's delicate malt character.

British Golden Ale is the suggested pairing by the BJCP, as you mentioned, but it comes down to what else is in the category. It really is out there on it's own.

Plan to make a few more for sure though - really tasty and a crowd pleaser!
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter