• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 06, 2024, 07:43:23 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Wort Chiller for sale?

Started by bazbart, November 04, 2018, 07:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bazbart

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows of a wort chiller for sale. Looking for a reasonably priced copper coil one.

Thanks,
Barry

Raxy

Just make your own. I'll be making 1 for myself soon. I plan on getting 15m coil & using about 13 for the chiller

Https://gasproducts.co.uk/plumbing/copper-tube/10mm-x-10-metres-copper-tube.html

bazbart

Let me know how you get on. Would be tempted but then again my spirals would probably end up square ?

Shanna

If you buy copper coil rather than straight lengths of coil its reasonably easy to form. I have made too of them using different diameter wavin pipes to roll them over. It created a really tight fit. I then soldered right angled copper fittings to turn the corners rather than bending the copper. This was pretty easy to do but you do need access to a small blowtorch, lead free solder and flux. There are loads of videos on youtube for lots of different variations. Search for "how to make a copper chiller" and you will see what I mean. I did this and followed the instructions outlined in one as I did not have a pipe bender.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Will_D

Quote from: Shanna on November 07, 2018, 12:15:39 PM
I then soldered right angled copper fittings to turn the corners rather than bending the copper. This was pretty easy to do but you do need access to a small blowtorch, lead free solder and flux.

If using 10mm pipe you should be able to get 10mm compression fittings instead

https://www.ie.screwfix.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=10mm+compression
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

mac2k

If you get a coil, as easy trick for bending is to fill it with water, then freeze it. This will help stop the coil kinking when you are bending.

Raxy

I don't suppose anyone has a 10mm pipe bending spring around clondalkin?
Got my coil for the wort chiller today but they didn't have the bender spring.

Raxy

Not the most refined looking but should do the job.
15m on 10mm coil, cost me 46.50.
Double coil but I didn't have anything solid for the outside coil. Ended up wrapping towels around it & trying to wrap the coil around that. I should have got a bigger pipe, would have made it a lot neater.
I don't recommend the ice method to stop the pipe kinking, don't think it helped at all. I should have ordered a bender spring & waited before making it.