• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 02, 2024, 01:41:11 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

3kW Buffalo induction hobs going cheap

Started by delzep, December 04, 2018, 09:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delzep

https://www.nisbets.ie/buffalo-induction-hob/ce208

€130 exVAT

Never seen them this cheap. I have one and its fantastic. Definately recommended to anyone looking to get into induction brewing

I've no affiliation with nisbets btw, was just ordering something on their site and noticed it :)

markov

December 05, 2018, 12:00:50 AM #1 Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 12:59:08 AM by markov
Hi delzep, I've been thinking of getting a induction hob myself but wasn't sure how well they work for homebrew.  Have you got one yourself?  What's the maximum batch size you could brew with that hob on nisbets?

delzep

I have a 33l stainless steel pot that I use on mine and its perfect for it

Skittlebrau

Quote from: delzep on December 05, 2018, 12:27:18 AM
I have a 33l stainless steel pot that I use on mine and its perfect for it

Hi Delzep. Looking for a ~33l induction pot that doesn't break the bank. Can you recall where it was purchased?

greystashlawless

Slightly cheaper on amazon with free postage and VAT included. Picked one up a few months ago, I can get 60c wort upto boiling in around 30 minutes and no more ruining the kitchen hob.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Buffalo-Induction-100X330X430mm-Stainless-Cooktop/dp/B007TKFC84/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1544004365&sr=8-1&keywords=buffalo+3kw+induction

delzep

Good spot

I got my pot from mybeerandwine. Dunno if they're still in business though

phildo79

I have wanted one of these for ages. I have a few queries that perhaps you boys can help me out with.

1) Do I need to invest in a very good stock pot? I read a review that said their stock pot got warped by the hob.
2) Any idea how long it would take to get about 10 litres up to mashing temp?
3) Any idea how long it would take to get about 10 litres of wort up to boiling temp?
4) For this sort of volume, is it really necessary to get a Buffalo?
5) Could I achieve half decent mash and boil times with a much cheaper hob (with this volume)?

I bought a cheap hob last year but returned it as my stock pot, although being stainless steel, is not magnetic. So cheap hob or not, I would need a new pot.

molc

You can get a metal ferros plate to sit under stainless pots to make them work I believe.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Slev

December 06, 2018, 09:16:04 PM #8 Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 09:40:04 PM by Slev
There are 2kw induction hops in aldi atm for 35 yoyo. Might be of use for small batches.

https://www.aldi.ie/ambiano-induction-cooking-plate/p/096852238282800

delzep

Quote from: phildo79 on December 06, 2018, 12:17:34 PM
I have wanted one of these for ages. I have a few queries that perhaps you boys can help me out with.

1) Do I need to invest in a very good stock pot? I read a review that said their stock pot got warped by the hob.
2) Any idea how long it would take to get about 10 litres up to mashing temp?
3) Any idea how long it would take to get about 10 litres of wort up to boiling temp?
4) For this sort of volume, is it really necessary to get a Buffalo?
5) Could I achieve half decent mash and boil times with a much cheaper hob (with this volume)?

I bought a cheap hob last year but returned it as my stock pot, although being stainless steel, is not magnetic. So cheap hob or not, I would need a new pot.

I just put a mash on. Took about 17 minutes to get from tap temperature to mash temperature (12 litres). My pot is well insulated which really helps. I use that time to get the rest of my gear set up and crush the grains

phildo79

Quote from: Slev on December 06, 2018, 09:16:04 PM
There are 2kw induction hops in aldi atm for 35 yoyo. Might be of use for small batches.

https://www.aldi.ie/ambiano-induction-cooking-plate/p/096852238282800

That looks just like the one I got over a year ago. Unfortunately, I didn't realise my stainless steal pot wasn't magnetic. Didn't do enough research and brought it back to the shop. I reckon one like that would suit me just fine, considering the volume I am working with. And I doubt it's powerful enough to warp the pot. Just need to source a decent sized, decent priced, magnetic stock pot now. Any recommendations?

johnrm

December 09, 2018, 04:52:19 PM #11 Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 05:32:17 PM by johnrm
Look in Ikea for a pot.
Ikea 365+ is 10l to the brim, induction ready.

phildo79

Probably need something a bit bigger than 10L, in case of overflow. And £35 seems a tad dear. I'll keep my eyes peeled. Just always looking for ways to shorten brew day but in an affordable way.

Skittlebrau

Enquired last week with HBC about the following pot being induction compatible, but it is not. Might be worth checking for the 21L pot just in case it isn't either
http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/33l-stainless-steel-stock-pot-p-1727.html