• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 12:16:27 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Hopfenweisse hops

Started by irish_goat, June 22, 2019, 05:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qs

Quote from: irish_goat on June 28, 2019, 12:23:34 PM
Quote from: Keg on June 28, 2019, 12:18:48 PM
I think the 8 degrees Amber Ella is a good version.  I wouldn't use it during the boil as it gives different qualities then.  I use in in a trio with Citra and El dorado and it works well.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

I'm not mad on Amber Ella. I know it gets good reviews all the time but I feel like it's lacking a bit of punch. I must try it again though cause it's been a few years since I've had it.

Don't know if its me or the beer but I thought it was lovely and hoppy the first year it came out but ever since its been a bit more malty.

Keg

You might be right on that. The first time I had it a few years ago was what made me try Ella. Doesn't seem as hoppy now but I thought that was my own tastes

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

irish_goat

Cracked the first bottle last night, 19 days old. Fairly happy with the results, tasting like a nice fresh, Bavarian wheat with just a bit more citrus coming through. Colour is a little pale and muggy looking, would blame the oats for that. Think I'd add a touch of roasted malt just to up the colour next time.

Also, the yeast seems to have clumped rather than just flocced to the bottom like a regular weisse. Hopefully it just needs a bit more time in the fridge as it didn't look great when I poured the dregs in.

helmet

Quote from: irish_goat on August 01, 2019, 08:19:24 AM
Cracked the first bottle last night, 19 days old. Fairly happy with the results, tasting like a nice fresh, Bavarian wheat with just a bit more citrus coming through. Colour is a little pale and muggy looking, would blame the oats for that. Think I'd add a touch of roasted malt just to up the colour next time.

Also, the yeast seems to have clumped rather than just flocced to the bottom like a regular weisse. Hopefully it just needs a bit more time in the fridge as it didn't look great when I poured the dregs in.
Had one of mine last night too. Pretty happy with it. Mostly getting banana from the yeast and orange coming through from the Mandarina. This is my entry for the Wee County summer bottle swap, so I'm hoping it's up to scratch!

irish_goat

Looks good. I only did a 45g dry hop myself. Didn't want to all the banana to be overpowered by the hops.

helmet

Quote from: irish_goat on August 03, 2019, 09:55:02 AM
Looks good. I only did a 45g dry hop myself. Didn't want to all the banana to be overpowered by the hops.
The yeast is still very much to the front. I was kinda expecting more from the hops, considering the Dry Hop, but it's balanced out nicely.